1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

1014 set all speakers to large!!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RyanJE, Mar 8, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Ive recently purchased a Pioneer 1014tx with MCACC auto calibration. Im confused as to why it set all my speakers to large. Heres my specs.

L&R 42hz-20khz
    c 70hz- 20khz
    Rs&Ls 50hz-20khz

Why would it do this. I thought it was generally best to run everything at small. Also would it be matter if I ran Auto EQ first or last? I ask because I've read many opposing opinions regarding this issue. Some sat its bad to run all at small because all of the bass signals and LFE get muddled together. On the other hand it supposedly improves the mid. What do you guys think??? I dont have well trained ears yet as Im relatively new to HT. Therefore, I am highly inclined to agree with the machines measurements. Can anyone help?

2. DevinJC

DevinJC Stunt Coordinator

the 1014 almost always sets speakers with frequency responses like yours to large. Just set them to small after the MCACC, everything that the MCACC did will still be valid.

Oh assuming you have a subwoofer... which well you know. [​IMG]

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Ive set all too small. I cant help wonder though, why the receiver would set all to large. This thread at htguide peaked my interest.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...ght=Bookshelf.

Is there any argument as too why the 1014 would be justified in setting all to large??

4. John S

John S Producer

It is just looking for significant roll off from the speaker / channel. Just because a speaker doesn't roll off it's output til around 50hz, does not mean it is best to force it to produce those frequencies, especially at higher volume.

Actually says a lot for your speakers you using. Set them small. [​IMG]

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Yep, ALWAYS sets all of my JBL's to large, even the e10's. I just set them to small, altho I have been playing with the E80s set to large and sub to plus. Haven't made a decision on that tho.

6. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Yea I was thinking about running mains at large but I dont want any cancellation. The E10s are good to what 70hz? Mikey where do you cross your sub at?

What do you mean? That the freq measures are accurate? Just wondering because theres no published charts on them.

7. John S

John S Producer

It means, they can at least somewhat effectively produce down to 50hz. Fairly impressive for a smaller speaker in general if you ask me anyways. Which you just did. [​IMG]

8. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Thats reassuring[​IMG] . Im sure ill just stick with the small settings. Would anyone ever want to set their speakers to large if the had a decent sub? What if someone was running JBL E100 (dual 10's) good for 30hz. Would you guys still say set to small? I know its all about preference, but really there is a general consensus.

9. John S

John S Producer

The only way I would do it, is if I had a way over abundance of amplification for my main channles. Like separate 2 channel or mono block major amps. For me, it is taking the burden off of the AVR that makes it more attractive. I think I am crossing at 60hz these days on my s38's, and they go pretty darn low too. It was a hard call for large or not with my speakers as well.

A lot of it does come down to preference too. Run it the way you like it best, is the most important.

10. MikeyWeitz

I run my crossover @ 80hz right now.

11. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

How do you Like your JBL's? I think they may be my next upgrade. Are they up front or warm?

12. John S

John S Producer

My s38's, are some of the flattest speakers I have ever encountered period. Some could even sense that as a bad thing. But man, they are right up my washed up recording engineer alley. [​IMG] The s38's are designed as near field monitors. Sort of an odd ball to use for HT, but once again, it creates some ubber cool precise soundstaging.

I haven't found anything I like better, period. Some will think me a crack pot for that statement, but that is my honest opinion of them and why I chose / use / love them.

I'm getting ready to embark on a rather crack pot experiement of true bi-amping them as well. Wish me luck!!! I'll need it.

13. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Mikey what about you? Any input on the JBL's. Subjective input. Would you say their transparent?

14. MikeyWeitz

I would say they are slightly forward, borderline nuetral to warm.

I certainly have no complaints, especially what I paid for my entire setup. I do not think I could have done better for the $$$ and am VERY pleased.

15. John Tami

John Tami Stunt Coordinator

Love my JBL's! MCACC did large on them, switched to small and been running that way the last 6+ months. Nice feature is how it sets the Sub distance to the actual sound distance, not measured distance.

16. ChrisCan

ChrisCan Agent

I think MCACC will set to large if it senses anything in the 40HZ range from the speaker. It set all mine to large except the center which won't go that low. setting them all to small is the right way to go if you have a sub