1014 on the way - now for the speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeWHA, Jan 20, 2005.

1. MikeWHA

MikeWHA Extra

Here's the situation - after having a Pio 1014 on backorder at JR for two weeks, it is finally on the way. Now I must make my speaker purchase. My room is 16 X 18 with the 18 side being open to the kitchen so the room is unbounded on the left side. Will use more for TV than music. I haven't bought a system in ten years and feel this one should last me close to that. It started out that I was just going to get the Fluance HT and call it an inexpensive day. But have since found that my tax return is gonna big bigger than expected so started looking into the JBL Northridge/Klipsch at Best Buy. Horrible set up there so I couldn't tell a damn thing - of course their bose system was set up to kick all the other systems' butts. I know better though, thanks to the fine folks on this forum. So where I'm at now is that I can travel all around St Louis looking for a great side by demo but if I increase my budget for this rare purchase, I can dive into Axiom/Swan territory. Only thing is that, where I was not afraid to go sight unseen on the Fluance, but upwards of two grand for Axiom and Swans is a leap of faith - and twice the cost of JBLs. Any of you out there care to either persuade or disuade this newbee who does not want to be disappointed. Also, will eventually get an SVS sub but not until later this year.

2. John S

John S Producer

Pioneer 1014?? Hmm Think bright / efficient as far as speakers go. I doubt you will get to demo speakers from that source. Wait till you have the Pioneer, and try to be able to audition speakers in your home on your system.

3. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

MikeWHA,
    If you decide to go on the cheap end for some reason, don't hesitate to purchase the Fluance. I have a Pair of their SV-6 bookshelf speakers and they blow away the JBL northridge bookshelves that are comparable, E20, 30...I cant remember the number, but I auditioned the JBLs many times before I bought the fluance. I also Have their SV-10s and their av-sc center. Extremely pleased with all of it. If you want further info let me know i'll fill you in. On The other hand they probably dont even compare to Axiom. Never heard em, but I doubt there disappointing judging by all the press. Im shooting for the Epic 80's as my next system. Anyway, if you want more info let me know.

4. Brian_Fly

Brian_Fly Stunt Coordinator

I've heard klipsch's make a good match to Pioneer recievers. They are bright and efficient as John suggests. Look at the Vanns website for some pretty good deals on discontinued models- with no tax or shipping they should be cheaper than comparable models at BB. ~$800 total would land you a good setup (SF-2 towers, SC-1 center, SS-1 surrounds). The Audioreview website has numerous positive reviews on these products - may make a leap easier to stomach. Good luck.

5. MikeWHA

MikeWHA Extra

If I do go with the JBLs, will opt for the following:
    E90s fronts
    EC35 center
    e50 rear sides
    e30 rear centers

All for just over $1K shipped from BH. Will add on the SVS sub sooner than later then.

The Fluances are appealing just because, if they aren't exactly what I'm looking for, then I can always use them in my basement.

So I guess I have a low price and a mid-range price solution (will try to get a listen to Klipschs also). What are folks' take on Axiom vs Swan?

6. Tingwe

Tingwe Stunt Coordinator