1014 EQ Settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MikeGee, Mar 12, 2005.

1. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

Just wondering if there is anyway to adjust my EQ levels on my 1014 while watching a movie to tweak it to my liking. The only way i figured out was through using the manual MCACC settings but it only offers me to adjust with hearing the static for reference instead of the audio to the film which i'd prefer.
    I wanna give my speakers more high's.. the sound seems to be a bit too bland for me. (Athena AS-B2's all around all set to Small)
    I set the speakers all to the same levels since they are the same brand/size
    125hz - 0
    250hz - -2
    4khz - +1
    13khz - +6
    trim +2 for my rear surrounds

Any reccomendations for getting more highs? This seems to sound pretty damn good compaired to what the AUTO MCACC did and its just by ear..

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    It's a shame the 1014 switches to test tones for EQ adjustments. Makes adjusting the settings a real hit and miss proposition. And a real pain in the *ss. I'm running Polk RTi's with mine and my manual settings are just about opposite of yours. 125=+3/250=+2/4000=-2/13000=0. The only other way I can think of to raise the highs is to use analog cables instead of digital (coax/toslink) which enables you to use the bass/treble controls. But that's a poor option in my opinion. The 1014 is a nice receiver for the price, but it does have some unusual quirks to it.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I guess you gotta go with what sounds best to you, but adjusting them to all the same EQ settings is not the best way to go because each will sound different from being in different locations in the room.

I'm not familiar with the Athenas, but perhaps they are rolling off some of the highs. The room and the things in it(large peices of furniture & thick carpet)also can play a part in absorbing some of the high frequencies. In addition, if the speakers are placed near a boundary they can emphasize the lower end.

Incidently, having the pink noise for EQ adjustment is actually better than a soundtrack or music because the changes you make will be more noticeable. IOW, you'll be able to dial into the effect you want to achieve much easier.

DJ

4. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I think I have to disagree with this. When making EQ adjustments with the test tone, I hardly hear any change in tone at all. This is especially true with real low or high adjustments since the test tone has a very narrow upper mid-range frequency response. When making bass or treble adjustments on other receivers, I can hear the faintest change in detail from the smallest movement of the knob (or one step from an electronic control). Please feel free to educate me on the finer points of test tone EQ adjustments, because it's not working for me right now.

5. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

I know by setting all the speakers to be the same is not the "ideal" thing to do but honestly to me it sounds pretty damn good. Compaired how it sounded the first week i had it .. it wasnt too impressive until i did my EQ adjustments.
    I used my Winamp on my computer for references to what hz and khz were because it was all a bit foreign to me, and i like my end result.

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I notice a nice imporvement in sound using Auto MCACC and it's eq.

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I'm going to save the auto eq to Custom1 but would like to use Custom2 (since tone controls are useless on this thing) for manual eq settings for when I feel like listening to stuff differently than what MCACC thinks I should like. You know, sometimes I feel like a nut. Sometimes...