What's new

100W amp for Shiva? (1 Viewer)

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
I posted a message before about converting an 8" sub to a sonosub. I have an Energy e:XL-S8.

Thing have changes and so have my ideas. I'm thinking of the 142.5L vented box plan on the Adire site for a Shiva.

The specs on the Shiva say it can be driven with most home receivers with 100W per channel. My current sub has a plate amp with 100W RMS, peak of 400W.

Would my current sub amp have enough to power the Shiva to a reasonable listening quality? Would it at least get me by until I can purchase something larger? Would a different size enclosure help me out?

I use my system for mostly movies. I want a little more oomfph in the base area.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Just as it says on the Adire site, 100 watts will push the Shiva quite well especially in the 142.5 liter enclosure. This larger enclosure is quite efficient so 100 watts may surprise you. I say try it since you already have an amp and if you find yourself lacking power you can always upgrade in the future.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
The EBS is efficient, so 100 watts should work very well. The problem is not with the power per se, but with any boost or filter circuits that the amp may contain. There may be an infrasonic filter present, in addition to some bass boost, designed to work with the original driver and tuning, which wouldn't work well at all with the Shiva EBS.

You could try it, of course, and buy a different amp if needed.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Would my current sub amp have enough to power the Shiva to a reasonable listening quality? Would it at least get me by until I can purchase something larger? Would a different size enclosure help me out?
I have Link Removed in a 101 liter enclosure with a 130 watt plate amp from Apex Jr (the Shiva is wired at 4 Ohms). I get way more bass than I need. I would expect 100 Watts in 142 liters will work just fine.
You may, however, run into built in bass boost/inhibitor circuitry in your OEM amp. A lot of manufacturers build them to suit a specific driver's response. So, don't be alarmed if you seem to be getting more or less amplification at certain frequencies than others. (oh... I see Jack has already made this point)
But, I think you will be happy with your Shiva.. I love mine.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I think you would be better off selling the energy intact and using the proceeds to purchase a plate amp to install in the enclosure or perhaps a second hand monoblock or even a vintage receiver or integrated.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I agree with brian sell the energy and use the proceeds to buy one of the plate amps from parts express etc. Also while you're at it why stop at the shiva and not go with a tempest?
This plate amp at Parts express is a solid buy...I'd also buy their 12 or 15" DVC driver as well to save on shipping etc. A friend of mine just bought this amp so I can tell you what the duty etc was on it if you're interested.
Jim if you need any help at all on your project please feel free to drop me a line or call me (888-0832) I'd be willing to help where I can.

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew,

The final prices of that amp would be great. The 12" DVC driver you mention, is it part #295-185 for $99?

How would this driver compare to the Shiva? I think I'm partial to the Shiva because of the plans for the box and the testimonials of people here on the forum.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
yes its the http://www.partsexpress.com/Tech/295-185.html and $99 is a steal. If you do a search on the DVC drivers you'll find that a lot of us have used the PE drivers. They are essentially clones of the Adrie drivers but differ enough that for some applications one is better then the other. I believe the 12" PE driver can go into a slightly smaller box then the shiva but all in all both are amazing drivers. The advantage for you would be in the savings for shipping. I used the 15" DVC and have built subs using the Tempest and honeslty they are extremely similar to each other and both will do equally well for you. Since the PE is cheaper then the shiva and you're better off with a plate amp anyway it makes sense to get them from the same vendor. There's a user forum here that should have lots more info on the DVC drivers as well.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd agree that the PE 12" DVC is a very nice driver, especially at the sale price. I used one for this sub, since I wanted it small, and it does require a smaller box than Shiva for a given Qtc/alignment.
As you mention, an advantage of the Shiva is the nice box plans Adire has posted for it. With the DVC, you'll have to come up with something, or go with one someone else has built. Rudy, from the PE forum that Andrew linked, maintains an archive of projects using this driver
here, so you might find something suitable. I like WayneJ's vented design myself. The folks on the board are also very helpful, as are the PE staff.

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, great info.

Does the dimension of a box alter the sound quality if the internal volume remains the same?

The Adire specs are for 22.5 cubed with 142.5L capacity. I wouldn't mind changing these specs to better fit my listening area but still retain the internal volume.

Time to do some playing with WinISD.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

For a sub, changing the dimensions won't matter as long as the internal volume is the same.

Brian

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Jim there are golden ratios for lenght height and width but these really only apply to speakers who's freq's are much much higher then what a subwoofer will be playing. Given that the wavelengths are so long for freq's under 100 hz its not an issue. Really the only concern you might have altering the dimensions is that some adjustments may be needed to fit in a port of a given lenght. Just make sure that you have enough internal bracing esp on the larger panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks