100inch for $10:Scam or not?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerald Lauze, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Gerald Lauze

Gerald Lauze Auditioning

Nov 1, 2001
    Anyone seen these ads for converting your TV into a 100inch projection?
    Anyone seen these things..is it for real?
    Thanks for any info
  2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Mar 8, 2000
    Check out thread: 008818 in the projectors area.
  3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Sep 30, 1997
    Wes Peterson
    I think its funny how several express doubts and opinions but for only $15. or so, not one has tried it. I have not tried it but I would say if you are interested at the least try it then report back to us and let us know from personal experience.
  4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Jul 30, 2001
    I didn't pay anyone for plans. I just found them online. The only investment was a $5 lens from Barnes and Noble.
    Anyway it works to an extent. The contraption you make with a 19" tv is HUGE and it has to be fairly close to the wall to keep the picture within reason. The image is soft and usually blury around the edges. I actually could read the credits though so it is focusable. As a fun gag it was cool and I suppose you could use it outside against your garage or a barn wall. LOL Would have been cool during Halloween. I wouldn't watch an entire movie on it though.
    It is still a cool idea but don't bother paying these people for the plans. Just do a search for it on google. It sure won't be replacing my LT150 though. [​IMG]
  5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

Mar 6, 1999
    Here is why it is not a great idea even on just the basis of light output. Assume you start with a 19 inch TV and it is set to its upper limit of light output around 100 Footlamberts (and I'm being very overly generous). You attach a lens that manages to capture maybe 1/5 of that light. Now you project onto a 100 inch screen which means the light intensity gets cut down to 1/(100/19)^2 or 0.0361 of the light that managed to get through the lens. Remember that light requirement goes up with the square of the diagonal. That 100 inch screen gets lit up to a light intensity which is 20 * 0.0361 FL for a peak white of 0.722 FL. That is a pitifully dim picture even with overestimating the original light output and lens efficiency. By contrast, a real video projector will produce peak whites at least in 14 to 20 FL range.
    The lens is a simple one so you'll never get good focus throughout the image.
    Still unlaughable now?
    Guy Kuo
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD