$1000CDN for music speakers - Suggestions requested!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I know that I need to audition speakers to make my own decision. But I need some good suggestions to get started. And frankly, I don't have a lot of time to go auditioning speakers, so I need to narrow the field down to two or three choices based on word of mouth.

I live in Toronto area, my absolute ceiling in $1000 Cdn, and they will be used with a Yamaha RX-V1000, on the B setting of the "A-B" switch.

I don't need reference level speakers, but I do want floorstanding (no bookshelves).

It would be nice, but not necessary, for them to belong to a full HT setup later on. But right now, the focus is solely music.

Recommend away!

Thanks,

Martin.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I highly suggest a pair of Magnepan MMG's. They are $550 US directly from www.magnepan.com but you should be able to hear the similar sounding 1.6's locally. For most types of music (other then heavy metal and dance) I'd say these are stellar with stunning imaging and are brutally honest.

3. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

For that range, your best bet is probably the Diva 4.1 by Swan. They are $699 US, so that would be about $1050 Canadian if you can go up another $50 or so. I've never heard them, but they are getting rave reviews and I'm thinking about getting the 2.1 bookshelves for my bedroom. You can also look at some of the Boston's in their VR line.

4. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

4 words: Monitor Audio Silver 5's

I'll second the Diva's though, i haven't really heard them except at CES but the owner feedback is nothing but good.

5. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I would recommend a visit to Bay Bloor Radio.
    http://www.baybloorradio.com/
    The sales people are very knowledgeable and you'll be able to audition the speakers in their store.
    I have Energy XL15's and think they sound great - but these are just $250.00 bookshelf speakers.
    You should listen to the Energy XL 25, 26 and 28P's
    They also have a Definitive Technology room.
    Good Luck with your shopping

6. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I'm not sure if they'll fall in my price range or not, but what do people think of the DefTech Protower 400's? I'm drawn to the full range acquired by having a built in powered sub to help out.

Thanks,

martin.

7. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

If you wanted something more 'mainstream', a pair of Infinity Interlude IL30's could be had for a grand total if you asked nicely [​IMG].
    Personally, I think they are fantastic speakers (and they look great too), but to each his own.

8. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

I think your best bet would be one of the Paradigm Studio speakers. Perhaps something from PSB or Energy as well.