10000 rpm hard drives

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PatH, Apr 25, 2006.

1. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Heard these are great, but noisy. How noisy is noisy? Any other thoughts? Thanks!

PatH

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The only ones I've used are in my servers and with all the fan noise in that room I don't notice the hard drives [​IMG]

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

oops

4. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

There's a comprehensive review of the 150GB Raptor (including comparisons with the more-renowned 74GB sibling and other 7200 rpm models) at StorageReview.com

At 51 db in idle mode, the Raptor wouldn't find its way onto my PC, but your needs may be substantially different than mine. I'm keeping an eye out on storage devices based on perpendicular recording technology.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I think I would be tempted to get two 7200rpm drives in a RAID-0 array. It probably wouldn't be quite the performance of the 10,000rpm drive, but would be close enough for most applications.

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

Too be honest I have 2 of these in my gaming rig, I dont really notice any real increase in loudness but then again my case fans arent the quietest either, they are awesome drives,I also have several friends with raptors and their pcs arent really all that loud either. nonetheless there are other totally awesome 7200 rpm drives out there. the difference is pretty negligable but noticeable.

7. Lance_R

Lance_R Stunt Coordinator

I use two of the 74G 10K RAID 0 drives in my HTPC. The machine makes less noise than my Infocus X3 projector. These drive are super fast! My PC is about 10 feet away from my sitting location.

8. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

They do make more heat as well so you may find yourself wanting to increase airflow through the case. Just a thought.