What's new

$1000 watch-help me choose (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
yeah....but a $100 watch tells time just as well as a $1000 watch.

while a $100 receiver doesn't do much nearly as well as a $1000 receiver.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
I got a Citizen Eco-Drive Chrono for a graduation present; it functions beautifully, and is a nice semi-formal watch.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I have had a Luminox watch for about 8 years. They now make a Titanium version. Functional, stylish and:
Glows Continuously for More Than 25 Years
Glows 100 Times Brighter Than Other Luminous Watches
Self-Powered Swiss Illumination System Guaranteed 10 Years
Entirely Swiss Made with Multi-Jewel Swiss Quartz Watch Movement
Water and Shock Resistant
Click HERE to view all these great watches

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
heh, I wear a Swatch Irony Automatic that is clear front and back, first "expensive" gift from my then-girlfriend, now wife. but I'll have to change the leather strap soon, it's getting rather tatty and gamey...

as for IIII v. IV, I believe both are actually acceptable, although for some reason I've never come across VIIII as compared to the more usual IX.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
$100 watch...Pshawwwwfftt. When I was young, we used to live in a box! ;)
What do all you watch connoisseurs (sp?) think about Festina watches? The only reason I ask and the only reason I've heard of Festina is they used to sponsor a French pro cycling team.
I have a $50 Peugeot that I got at a Macy's one day sale in high school, like 14 years ago. No idea if it's any relation to the car manufacturer though. I think I was having it's battery changed and the guy was all over my watch saying how nice it was!
Jay

Greg Rowe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg
I am very attached to my watch. It is a 40$ casio I bought more than 10 yeasr ago. I plan on getting a new one when the dates run out in 2021 (they have hard coded dates in my watch, don't know why). WHen that sad day comes, and if casio is still in business, I am going to ask them to make me a custom watch. I want one that is virtually identical to the one I have now.

Greg

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
but are not smart enough to correctly use Roman numerals.
Ha! The modern usage you say is correct is a new convention. The romans never used IV or IX always IIII or VIIII.

Of course if you look at the banners in Gladiator, they are using the modern convention!

RogerB

Second Unit
I bought a watch like this
Ebay - Gucci Watch
about a year ago on Ebay. It retails for $695. You can find it online for about $400 (if you trust them). I paid about $200. It was brand new. I like a good bargain.

Michael Marklund

Stunt Coordinator
Brett,
The decision you're faced w/ now is a matter of perceived value and personal preference. A grand will get you into the mechanical watch market and out of the quartz world. IF that's what you want. Some things to consider: no mechanical watch is more accurate than a $20 quartz watch. If exact time is your thing, don't go mechanical. However, a mechanical watch is generally more aesthetically pleasing and carries the "art" of orchestrating 150-400 individual parts into a package the size of a pillbox. I greatly enjoy my mechanical watches and am a fledgling collector. The intricate work needed to put all those small parts together simply amazes me.
If you go mechanical, there are really 2 categories: the dress watch w/ leather strap or the diver/sport w/ metal bracelet. If this is to go with a suit only, go w/ the former. A great source for watches (at a discount) on the web is www.watchbuys.com. Also search google for swiss watches, etc. Best advice I can give you is to do some research. Collectors tend to group mechanical watches into either high quality brands or jewelry watches. The former will hold their value better. The later start expensive but are not worth much later as the cost went into the "fashion" name and looks as opposed to build quality and better components.
Like I said, do some research. $1000 can buy you just about the best quartz watch in the world, but will only let you see the "tip of the iceberg" in mechanical watches. Look at websites and go w/ what interests you. If you have any questions on something you find on a site, note it here and I can give you my $0.02.
Good luck,
MM

Mark C Sherman

Second Unit
An old friend of mine always said

"BUY THE BEST AND CRY ONCE"

Like many others here I have had my share of "VALUE ORIENTED" Watches. I cant tell you which way to go But some of the guys here have made some pretty good suggestions.

Later

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Omega Seamaster mechanical here. Did it when the market was roaring a few years ago and was a great move. It is quality that never goes out of style and works for casual or dress.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i've also got the movado museum watch. i think it cost me about 300...but not sure anymore. i bought it a while ago, but i don't wear it that much anymore...not since costco started carrying the darn thing! :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Movado's are much more mainstream now and maybe won't set you apart from the crowd as much...if that's what you are looking for in a watch.

KyleS

Screenwriter
Another vote for the Omega Seamaster absolutely great watch that goes well in Casual, Dress, or outdoors. :emoji_thumbsup:
KyleS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Evan said:

I agree, Movado's are much more mainstream now and maybe won't set you apart from the crowd as much...if that's what you are looking for in a watch.
What are people looking for in an expensive, stylish watch? Are you looking for a watch that looks nice to you, is well-made, and that you are proud to own, or are you looking for a watch that will impress people? Invariably, some people buy cars, expensive clothes, or other expensive displayed items to impress people. I have never understood that. I mean, I know why people do it, but I don't understand the need to do it. I bought a Movado watch because I like Movados. I enjoy wearing it. However, I could care less if anyone else likes it.

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
Here is a webpage with info on why clocks use IIII:
Link Removed
Interesting, and it was also a single search away(Roman Numerals History @ google)
mike

DavidAM

Second Unit
They've been out for a few years now, but I still dig them....the Gucci G Watch
Link Removed
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks