$1000 watch-help me choose

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Jason, Oct 14, 2002.

1. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

Someone wants to get me a watch for a special occassion, The limit is 1000 but closer to 750 would be better. I like modern (vs. vintage types) but was looking for something unique as opposed to Tag Heur which a lot of people have. Any suggestions?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Can you advise that "someone" to purchase something home theater-related as opposed to a watch? With a thousand big ones you could get an all-in-one machine that plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, and regular ol' CD.

Or you could get a digital settop box.

I don't understand this watch thing. Makes no sense.

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

4. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

My vote would go for the Omega Constellation. I've had mine for 5 years now and can't be happier. It's classy, yet fairly modern so it goes well with anything. It loooks just fine with a suit or jeans. The Seamaster is nice, but a bit too sporty for my tastes.

One thing you should know about high end watches is you can haggle about price. I saved about 150 off the price this way (Alpha Omega in Boston). It was listed for 20% off and I mentioned I could get it for 30% off plus no tax online. Would they match? They said the best they could do was 20% off and they'd eat the tax. I countered with 25% off and they eat the tax and I'd buy it, to which they agreed.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jack, I think it's used more like jewelry than for the watch function. I'm with you though, for me a watch like that is a waste of money.
    My wife would like me to get something nice to go with my suit though, for some reason she doesn't feel like my Casio G-shock matches it... and even though I bought a fake Rolex for $10 to weasr with the suit, she seems to want me to get a nicer watch. [​IMG]
    I'd get a Bvlgari watch, just because I think they have a cool name and sleek designs. This seems to be their cheapest one though and it's $1100, at least at http://www.e-luxury.com: [​IMG]
    Maybe there are others less expensive elsewhere.

6. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

7. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    How about a good Seiko for about $300 which will last as long as any $1000+ watch?

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Brett, Tag Heuer makes a nice watch. However, my vote would be to go for a Movado Museum watch. I have one, and I love it. Particularly appealing to me is the simple, classic black face with the gold, round marker at 12 o'clock. It's simple and sleek, yet very distinctive. I always know a Movado when I see one. Many have tried to copy the Movado design, but there is only one Movado. [​IMG]

9. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

10. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

11. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

Well, with as many Fossils and Kenneth Cole watches that I've bought and broken and/or worn out (at $75-150 each), I could have bought a Tag or an Omega that I'd still be using.

12. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Something I found interesting was that on all the higher-end watches with Roman numerals, the 4 is indicated with IIII instead of IV.

13. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I'm with Keith on this one ,,, I have the classic he mentioned .
    Try this
    [​IMG]
    Available in Silver too
    or these
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hey, I like em[​IMG]
    Brent

14. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

Rado (made by movado, I think) is pretty sweet. I really like the sleek modern styling.

FWIW I do own a Movado but have a collection of 6 Skagen's that I rotate through. I've gotten far more comments & complements on them than the Movado (which I wore daily for 3-4 years.

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

It's not really easy to tell the time on those with n0 markings on the face.
    Or 50 Casios. Of course, you'd only need one... [​IMG] I've had mine for 5 years now and it's as solid as when I got it. I had to change the battery last year, other than that it runs as good as ever. I never take it off, except maybe to clean it a couple of times a year.
    /Mike

16. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    Hey Brian, I've noticed this too as well as a lot of watches and grandfather clocks using IIII instead of IV and also using VIIII instead of IX. I don't understand why they do it, but it irritates me. It's kinds of like they are trying to look all sophisticated, but are not smart enough to correctly use Roman numerals.

17. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

was IIII ever used, or has it always been IV?

18. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I have a Movado and love it. I've had it for three years and constantly get complemented on it. I used to have a million Fossils and was always having problems with them (batteries, straps, etc.). I needed a "suit" watch and got a Movado.
    If I had my choice though, and the sky was the limit, I would get a Breitling. However, I think the cheapest one they make is like $1700. They go all the way to about $50,000.
    www.breitling.com

19. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Omega Seamaster. It will be with me for life. And it's my choice to have a ~1000 dollar watch. I'll buy the HT equipment I want, too. A good watch is for life. Mine is five years old and perfect.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Ah the irony of consumers of disposable media and electronics dissing buying a similarly-priced watch that could last a lifetime and even be an heirloom [​IMG]
    I've never owned an expensive watch, but I really like the "kinetic" watches -- self-winding from arm motion and such. I like thought of the craftily engineered mechanism capturing the scraps of energy we toss off in our daily activities [​IMG]