What's new

1000 w amp for stryke AV-12 ? (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I currently have an Stryke AV-12 in an 18" sealed cube with a PE 250 watt amp. The 500/1000w amps that PE has on sale now are very attractive. I was thinking about the 500w which would be perfect for my sub but for an extra $100 I could get the 1000w and be ready for a driver upgrade at a later date. Would the 1000w be too much for my current setup? The DIY bug has bit me hard so I know I'll be doing another sub project someday.

Eric Eash

Second Unit
on a rough estimate, 500w would bottom the driver with full power under 22Hz, and 1000w, would bottom out at 33Hz. either amp would work, but i'm not a fan of overpowering subs. with certain things i have very good self control, but i don't when it comes to volume knobs. but, if you ever upgrade to a tumult, or a ported/pr enclosure, the larger amp might be worth the risk.

eric

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
Go for the larger amp. Keep the gain down and like you said, you will have it for future upgrades.

I see on your post you are from Denton. . .me too!! Howdy neighbor.

Brian

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Thanks Eric, I am planning on building a ported sonosub with my av-12. Are you saying this design can handle more power than a sealed?

Hi Brian, I'm waiting for the terrible storm that is supposed to here right about now. There have already been reports of 5 inch hail, 100mph winds and tornadoes west of here. What kind of system do you have? I have GR Research AV-3 mains, AV-3s center and AV-1 surrounds. Just had an HD satellite installed to go with my 42" Sony LCD RP tv.

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
be aware that there have been issues with the auto-turn on feature on the PE 500/1000w amps... do a search of this forum for a post started by a fellow named Coyle.

David

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
David, Thanks for the link. I'll probably still get the amp but now I know it might have some issues.

Brian, NICE HT system! I'm guessing you're not in an apartment anymore; the neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate those twin Tumults as much as most of us here at the HT forum would. I couldn't help but notice the T-MAXX. RC cars are my other hobby. I race at Mikes Hobby Shop in Carrolton (check out the website, add www and .com). I actually spend more money on RC than I do on HT!

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Joey

I have the stryke av12 in a dual 4inch ported 5cubic foot sonotube driven by the 250watt PE plate amp. The 250 watt is more than enough power:) In this configuration, the stryke sonotube plays 2db louder than my SVS CS+ 16/46.

LuisC

Grip
Ross,

Can you give me an idea how long your ports are and if they are flared ones.

Thanks,
Max

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
1000 wats is overkill for the av12/15 i have 1000 wats on mine and you push it into thd with out tapeing the amp. i would say 600 or 700 would do. 500 you will clip your amp befor driveing in to thd but this is ported vs sealed.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'd go for a pro audio amp and use it instead of a plate amp - since you are desiring a nice little "bump" in power.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I went with the PE 500w plate amp and built a 5 cu ft sonosub and it sounds great. I did have the auto on problem with the amp but PE provided a info to fix it. Just added one resistor and it's working fine.
Thanks to all who replied,
Joey S

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I have info on the mod for anyone who wants it. It will have to wait until I'm back on campus (doin' the college thing) where my main computer is.

MichaelAngelo

Stunt Coordinator
FWIW,

I have a PE 250 on each VC of an AV15, in a 6ft enclosure,
and it will bottom out if I get too "enthusiastic".
HTH

I'd go for either the 500w plate amp, or one of the 350w plates.
again
HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks