$1000 to spend on speakers/reciever

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Daniel Hawl, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

I am buying a RPHDTV this month, and to go along with it i'd like to upgrade from my hackjob speaker setup. Currently I am using my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's and a Midiland ADS4000 decoder as my audio setup, so of course I yearn for more (i'd also like to get my pro medias back in the bedroom where they belong, on my desk).

Since I am pretty limited at $1000 I've been auditioning whatever I could. I love Klipsch, but part of me wonders if it's for the right reasoning. They sound wounderful, but I fear I am just caught up in the 'Klipsch is good' mindframe and am not giving other speakers a chance to compete, even though they might be better. With klipsche I couldn't afford anything but the cheaper quintet series at the moment.

Another set I am interested in is the Energy take 5.1's. I could get this set with an Onkyo reciever for $1000 from the good guys, which seems like a possible choice. They are an older design but I demo'd them and thought they sounded great.

Anyways, please share your reccomendations for me so that I might be able to demo different models I might not have given the chance.

Also, I know NOTHING of recievers so any help would be great.

Thanks!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Daniel, if you love Klipsch then that is the right choice for you. Better in speakers is so subjective that it is hard to truly quantify ‘best’. There are some measurements that can be made, but in the end, if it sounds good to you, than that is what counts.

But, to help reduce the chance of buyer’s remorse, you should listen to a wide variety of speakers. You might be able to find a showroom somewhere that allowed a comparison of some of Klipsch speakers to others.

Listen and decide for yourself.

On your budget, I’d consider about $300 for the receiver to be about right.

3. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

would you recommend starting out with a 3.1 system for now? I am in a small living room, about 15x15ft. I would love a 5.1 since I watch so many dvds but I also don't want to buy the entry level products I will be forced to at my budget.

Any recomendations for two mains, a center, and a sub in the $700 range? Also, no svs as it simply wouldn't fly with my girlfriend.

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I think it far preferable to begin with better quality speakers (but fewer) and add as your budget allows than to begin with a whole 5.1 system, all of the components which you will want to replace soon.

My add-on cycle preference (in my view decide on the minimum quality speakers you want and then buy as many as you can afford to start).

1.two mains
    2.timbre matching center (you might want all three at first)
    3.sub
    4.surrounds

Don’t worry about the SVS and the GF. My wife is very accommodating as to my audio (and video) choices and expenditures, but she does have a ‘no ugly’ rule—which would include the SVS cylinders.

But there are plenty of other quality choice with good looks and great sound available at (relativity) reasonable prices. Plus the SAF is being felt by some of the companies—Hsu for example now has a VTF-3 in rosewood—and, I understand plans for a VTF-2 rosewood model as well.

Nothing like competition to improve product choice.

5. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

Have you listened to Athena's? I was at Best Buy the other day and thought they sounded pretty good.

6. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

I'm debating between the following right now :

Energy Take 5.1 (can be had with a nice Denon receiver for $1000 from GoodGuys)
    Energy Take 5.2 w/ Klipsch Ksw10 (I cant find a store that carries the 5.2s, but I imagine total cost would be $700 or so)
    Klipsch Quintet w/ Ksw10 ($650 shipped)

7. Jass G

Jass G Auditioning

Actually, can anyone tell me what kinda receiver and cd players i need to get? If my budget is only 450-500(for both)?

thanks for your help in advance

8. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Jass.....you might try opening your own thread....this is Daniel's.... but if it was me I'd opt for ebay and get something much better than I could possibly get new. Also...when you start your own thread be sure to specify what type of receiver, i.e. 2-channel, 5-channel, etc.

9. Jass G

Jass G Auditioning

see, that's kinda werid

I have been surfing on other forums.

And i will say most of the forums are like really really "strict" on openning new thread.

Rob, first i fully agree with you that i should open a new thread.

It is just when i was posting on some other forums, ppl there telling me that "you should not start a new thread if you can find a similar thread and follow it"

Well, thank god, i believe this forum is a great one!

I am new to here btw, thanks for your advice

10. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Daniel Hawl

I just posted this same thing to another forum but...

My brother bought the Quintet (with sub) and a Denon 1403 for the price you were talking about. He loves them. We compared them to the 5.2 system and (to our ears) the Quintet was a major improvement. By the way, we listened at the Good Guys. Another place that carries the Denon/Klipsch combo is Magnolia HiFi.

Much less money (and I've heard is not as good) is the Acoustic Research HC6 which is selling for $300 (includes sub) and used to be twice that much. One of the places it's available is jandr.com . Have done business with them a couple times and not been disappointed.

Doug

11. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

I ended up splurging and buying reference klipsch goodies [​IMG]

12. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

Good for you Daniel. I agree with Lew that if the Klipsch speakers sound the best to you then that's what you should go with. What did you do for a receiver or have you made that purchase/choice yet?

13. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

I went with the Denon 1082.

Also, I am seriously considering taking back the ksw12 I bought in exchange for an svs 25-31

Yes.. I know.. I raised my budget quite a bit [​IMG]

14. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Daniel Hawl,

Welcome to the cruel world of "this sounds so much better, but it costs more".

Congratulations on your new (and currently still improving) system.

Regarding the 1082, how programmable is the remote? I had a Denon with a learning remote a few years ago and it would only allow about 1/3 of the functions/buttons to be programmed. Any improvement? The 1082 is a receiver I have been considering. The remote could make a difference.

Doug

15. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

Doug,

I will let you know when I get it, which won't be until tuesday. Since I Bought everything from Tweeter who has stopped carrying klipsch they need to get all of my peices from different stores. I didn't take delivery on anything yesterday and wont until everything is together.

16. Jason F.

Jason F. Stunt Coordinator