$1000 setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Horak, Jul 12, 2002.

1. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, just searching for some opionions. My father is asking my advice on a HT setup. He will be buying a RPTV soon and wants my opinion on speakers (5.1) and a reciever. He will probably buy whatever my suggestion is and will probably not go audition the apeakers at stores.

He already has a prog-scan DVD player. He would like to spend about $1000 dollars. I have moved on to higher end stuff so its been awhile since I've listened to anything in this price range. If any one has any opinions (on what to look at or what to stay away from) I would appreciate it.

I have some ideas from searching around, but just looking for a little more info!

Thanks!!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Floorstanding or bookshelf?
    Level of quality of the respective components? Focus more on the receiver or speakers?
    I just setup a friend with a decent setup for under $1K:
    JBL NSP-1 - $249, now $200 at J&R! They are very good for the price, but not exactly what I would call great speakers. If he is not too particular, they should work fine.
    Sony SA-WM40 - $150 Hard to beat this one for the price.
    Marantz SR5200 - $499 excellent receiver, but there are plenty of good ones in this price range from Denon, Harmon Kardon and Onkyo.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Would your father like to turn it into a bit of a build it yourself project? If he has some tools and likes the idea of building his own cabinets there are many speaker kits and freely available designs out there that will allow him to get a lot more for his $1000 than he otherwise could.

4. Adam Horak

Adam Horak Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the recommendations John.

Dustin, I highly doubt he would build his own cabinets. If I werent involved, he would buy a HTIB solution. Simple as possible. Heck, I am probably going to be driving home to set this all up for him and show him how to use it.