$1000 Projectors for 16x9

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mike*Sch, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Mike*Sch

Mike*Sch Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a projector for a room which is 11' X 22'. Almost all of the progamming will be 16x9 DVDs. The screen will be 16x9. The models which seem the most attractive are the BenQ 6100 and the Panasonic 200.

I know that for 16x9, the resolution will be better on the Panasonic, since it's native 16x9, but aside from that, the BenQ sounds like a nicer projector. Which is the better choice? Should I sacrifice resolution for greater contrast, etc.?

Also, are there any other projectors which may be better than the two I'm considering?

Thanks.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Another one to add to the list is the Sanyo Z1. Your best bet is to find a comparison chart of each one and decide from that.

3. Mike*Sch

Thank you very much for the suggestion. After reading a couple reviews and looking at the specs, it seems like the Sanyo Z1 may be the best choice.

This is probably a stupid question, but I was wondering if it accepted a progressive signal through the component input, or if I would have to get an adapter to run my DVD player into the computer input.

Thanks,
    Mike

4. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

another great pj is the epson powerlite home 10 if you want to spend a bit more i paid about 1500 for it. canadian. it is high def too which is a plus. i couldnt really tell the defference between this and a 8000.00 dollar one that wa set up at the store

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

The upcoming Infocus 4805 is going to be under 1400 easily

6. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

The Z1 accepts progressive just fine through the component cables The Z1 automatically accepts all standard input resolutions (480i/p, 525i/p, 720p, 1080i)without the need to change anything. None of this crap that you get with RPTVs where you have 2 different component inputs, one of which only accepts 480i.

A good progressive scan dvd player (not a $39 apex) is a must for this (or any) projector.

I thought my Z1 was the greatest deal in the world when I bought it 15 months ago. Now you can buy for $500 less. It is a hell of a lot more cost effective to buy at the end of a product cycle.

7. Mike*Sch

Everyone, thanks for the advice. At this point, considering my needs and budget, I'm leaning towards the Z1. But if the 4805 comes out before I'm ready to purchase, then I'll definitely consider that as well.

One other question. I was planning on using a 92" x 52" screen and sitting about 11' back. Assuming that I have full control over lighting, is this an acceptable screen size and viewing distance for the Z1?

Thanks,
    Mike

8. mark alan

That is pretty big for a Z1. Sitting at that distance, you will quite likely seen the screendoor, and the picture will not be as smooth and filmlike. Unless you want to go with a higher resolution, more expensive projector, I would think a smaller size.

If you are determined to go big, I would recommend you at least wait on buying a screen (if you are buying instead of building). Spread a sheet on the wall and try some different picture sizes. If you still like the big approach, go for it.

Unless they are sitting way back, most people top out at about a 96" diagonal picture (you are talking about 106").

9. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

I have 106" diagonal pic but I sit 16ft back. With the Z1 you probably want to sit back farther than the 11 ft .

10. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

brandon:

check over at the avsforum.com. last i recalled the infocus 4805 was going to sell for $1699 or $1799 and not $1400 as everyone thought.

11. mark alan

then they won't sell any of them. It will not be in the same class as the sanyo z2 or panny 500, which are not much more than that. I think that if it sells for more than $200-$300 more than the X1, it won't sell.

12. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Well, it's not going to have the resolution of the Z2/500u family of LCD machines but it's entirely possible that it will be equal or superior to them in every other way.

Of course, no one knows until they actually exist but suppose for a moment you could get a projector that was twice as bright, with twice the contrast, with no dust problems, with less visible screen door and no possibility of vertical banding, with a long throw for ceiling mounting and with equal connectivity, warranty and quietness compared to the Z2/500u. And suppose it's just a couple of hundred dollar less expensive. However, it is 854x480 (DVD resolution) instead of 1280x720.

I'm certain there are people who would find such a projector a better deal than an LCD one, especially if they want a DVD movie machine and don't care much about HDTV. There's only so much other picture quality you can trade off for more pixels.

Now I don't think the 4805 will actually be the mythical "perfect except merely WVGA resolution" wonder gadget that I've described. But I think it will likely be a very good option for someone who wants to hang a long-throw projector behind them on the ceiling and watch DVD movies.

13. Mike*Sch

In theory, I could sit farther back, but 11 feet seems like the ideal distance because it is the center of the room.

This brings up another issue which I suppose is probably off-topic, but where do you guys put your speakers? Particularly the front center channel seems problematic since it needs to go above or below the screen. And what about surround speakers? I seem to remember reading somewhere the front speakers should be at a 60 degree angle and the rear speakers should be at an 110 degree angle. If I do this, then the front speakers will be 11 feet from the viewer, and the rear speakers will be 6.5 feet away.

Sorry to go off on that tangent, but I guess my question is should I try to sit towards the middle of the room, even if it means a smaller screen or possibly more noticeable artifacts, or should I sit farther back, increasing the difference between the speaker distances?

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Speaker distance shouldn't matter as long as you set up your receiver correctly for distances per speaker.
    Also you should get a SPL meter and either Avia or DVE for setting up sound and picture.

15. LouAR

LouAR Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    I have a 92"x52" and only use about 47" of the 52 (drop constraints). For 1.85:1 I throw about 84x47 and zoom for the 2.35:1 movies to use the entire 92". I sit about 15'. I think at 11' you may have too much screen. I feel about at the limit with mine. If you go too big relative to your sitting distance, SDE aside for the moment, your eye may have difficulty taking in the whole image comfortably. Frankly, I prefer not moving my eyes back and forth to see the whole screen.

For whatever it is worth in your search, have you looked at the reviews of the Hitachi Home-1? Ingore MSRP, you can get one for considerably less (newegg, projectorpeople, etc.). I have had mine for about 2 months now and love it. It is on the projectorcentral.com "highly recommended projectors" list and they have a very good review. There is another review at hometheaterhifi.com. My use is also DVD exclusive although I did just order an s-video cable to play with watching regular television from my cable box. This PJ has MLA which, with the tiniest fraction of defocus (Image focus quality unaffected), blooms the pixels to reduce/eliminate SDE. I still think a 92" wide at 11' will be pushing the SDE envelope (even with MLA) and pushing the comfortable view envelope too.

Hope something in here is helpful.
    ~ Lou ~

16. Mike*Sch

Thanks again everyone. I guess I shouldn't be as worried about speaker placement as I am. I guess I just figure that as long as I have options, I might as well put the speakers in the best possible places. But I do have an SPL meter and Video Essentials, so I guess I'm OK.

As for screen size and viewing distance, I'm definitely not worried about being overwhelmed by the picture. I'm one of those guys who sits in the pit in front of the stadium seats at a movie theater, and I like having to turn my head to see the whole screen. I just think it adds to the overall visceral impact of the movie. I'd even be willing to accept a certain amount of noticeable imperfections, such as screen door effect, in order to sit closer. If anything, I'm worried about sitting too far back.

That being said, it sounds like a 92" wide screen viewed at 11' is going a little overboard. I'm now considering 84" at 11'. Does anyone think that even that would be an intolerable combination?

Thanks,
    Mike

17. LouAR

LouAR Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    One possible idea is to get your PJ and experiment with the throw size; throwing to a wall or bed sheet until you find what YOU like best for size. Then get your screen. If you are unsure about your projector placement, you might consider one with lens shift. This adds considerably to your placement flexibility and dramatically reduces the chance of needing keystone correction. Using Keystone, I have read many times in these forums, reduces your image quality to some extent.
    HTH,
    ~ Lou ~

18. Mike*Sch

Lou,

You're right. Mark said the same thing earlier, and I guess that I should just be patient and play with the projector before I get the screen. Patience is not one of my strengths, but in this case, it will definitely pay off in the long run.

Thanks,
    Mike