$1000 Home Theater Audio System

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobSB, Dec 4, 2002.

1. RobSB

RobSB Agent

Nov 28, 2002
    Hey guys. Just bought a new 50" Toshiba 50HDX82 based on recommendations over at the DIsplay forum, and now I'm in the hunt for a nice audio system to complement it. My budget for the system is up to $1000, with maybe a little give but not much. My room is around 25' x 15', with my TV on the 25' wall centered facing the couch on the other wall.
    HTiB's are easier, but I certainly don't mind going components either. I want the best sound for the money I have. I guess 6.1 sounds like the wave of the future, so a 6.1 system would be ideal. I don't know, you tell me. I need Dolby and DTS, component inputs and outputs, and all that other good stuff. The $1000 also has to include a receiver.
    So guys, any recommendations? A clear and decisive winner please, make my life easy. [​IMG]
  2. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Aug 27, 2002
    For all that under a $1000 you could do one of the following:
    $250 - JBL NSP II (Front, Surround, Center)
    $400 / $135 - Adire Rava / Sony WM40 sub
    $370 - Pioneer VSX-D811S
    $1020 (Rava) / $755 (Sony Sub)
    $560 - Axiom Epic Micro (shipped) via audioshop.on.ca
    $370 - Pioneer VSX-811S
    I would probably go with the Axiom micro setup (currently on clearance as it is normally ~ US$910). You can see a review of the Epic Micro here .
    I know the JBL NSP setup has a really strong following as well. I am sure they will post a lot of supporting docs for it. [​IMG]
  3. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

Apr 5, 2002
    I was the first reply to your post at HT Spot.
    The Pioneer 811S is another good suggestion because it has full a set of preouts. I opted for the Onkyo SR600 with its lower THD% and OSD feature.