What's new

$1000 for mains & center -- which brand/model? (1 Viewer)

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, me and a friend are debating the best way to take his $1K and get the best set of front mains and center channel. He is planning to use an SVS 20-39 for the sub. He is driving it with a Denon 2802 receiver. The goal is to get the best sound & quality, paired with this sub, within his price range. He is open to towers or bookshelves, but would want to know the reasons why you would recommend one over the other (he's not convinced that quality bookshelves might be the way to go).

If you have specific brands & models, that would be great!

Edit: Forgot to add -- his room is approx. 18' x 14', and opens into a side dining room. It is carpeted/tiled (now), but the carpet may soon be replaced with wood. Ceilings are 12'. We also have local access to demo Boston, Klipsch, B&W, Paradigm, Mirage, Polk, Infinity, and Definitive if there are specific models you would recommend (other brands considered, too).

Thanks,
Rich

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, since I'm getting views but no responses, I'll get more specific:

I've done some research for my friend, and I'm narrowing down some models. Does anyone have feelings on one of these:

B&W 602 S3's bookshelf
B&W LCR60 center

Paradigm Monitor 5 bookshelf
Paradigm CC-370 center

Polk RT55i bookshelf
Polk CSi30 center

Boston VR940 floorstander
Boston VR920 center

Mirage FRx-3 bookshelf
Mirage FRx-C center

Definitive BP8B bi-polar floor
Definitive C/L/R 1000B center

I know the RT55i is bi-wireable; are any the others? Would a B&W 603, Paradigm Monitor 7, or Mirage FRx-5 floorstander be a better choice than their bookshelves? (though they might start falling outside his price range). Paired with an SVS 20-39, is their any compelling reason to even get a floorstander that at best can maybe hit 35-40kHz, or do you really get better drivers or savings by going with top of the line bookshelves?

Sorry for the continuing questions -- I'm sure there must be people here who own these speakers and had reasons on why they picked them over others.

Rich

Dan Lyman

Auditioning
Hey I'd look at the Polk LSI 9 & LSIC. They can be had online for that price and I think they are great. Great bass, detail imaging and overall sound.

They are bi-wirable, though I do not know if that helps. The Denon should be fine driving them. I preferred them to the B&W cdm series, paradigm studio 20's and the Kef Q series.

That's just my opinion FWIW

SteveDev

Agent
I've got the 2802 with Mirage FRx7's and a Mirage OMC3 Center. I haven't set up the center yet since I have no TV (hopefully next week).

The 7's sound pretty darn good, but can't say I've compared them to others since I got this as a wedding gift.

However, up here in Canada you can pick up up the 7's for about $600 CDN and the OMC3 for $300 CDN. That's $900 CDN give or take $100, so I'd imagine you could do much better for US$1000 unless Canadian speakers are that much cheaper up here! Are you looking at list prices? The bookshelves cost around CDN$300 here. They definately wouldn't power a room that big.

My brother has the OMC2 center channel (around CDN$700) which is awesome.

My room is 12.5x17.5.

Regards,

Steve

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Axiom, Paradigm and PSB are all excellent speakers. I am partial to the PSB's though. I love them! Great bang for the buck. People who listen to them think they are $4000 speakers. When I tell them that I paid $750 for the set and $200 for the center they can't beleive it. I have the PSB Image 6t's with an Image 9c center. There is your friends $1000 fron set up. I use them for movies, full range dvd audio and sacd and normal cd play. They handle evrything with ease and sound great.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
find used pair of paradigm studio 60's/40's and their CC center.
if new. 20's + CC.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks