What's new

1000 dollar challenge (1 Viewer)

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
Mission
Design a quality 6.1 or up surround package for 1000 dollars CANADIAN.

Current Components
Toshiba 27" flatscreen with component and S video
Xbox with S-video
DVD player with component
VCR with composite

Components Needed
Reciever
Speakers
Sub-Whoofer

Details
-My local audio video phile store deals yamaha and paradigm audio equipment, so if its not one of those a suitable place to buy in Canada must be provided. I have direct access to a Future Shop.
-My room is approximately 12x15 with an L shaped coach forming a "V" in front of the television.
Example: .....

. .
. .
. .

Good Luck My Friends

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion you can't go wrong with paradigm and yamaha. They are both great products by themselves but even better when you put them both together. I believe paradigm sounds great with yamaha recievers. Good luck and keep us updated on what ya get.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'd look at the Yamaha HTR5740 at Futureshop for $480 and then buy one of the following speaker packages also from Futureshop.

Athena AS-R1 dipoles, ASC-1 Center and AS-B1 bookshelfs
3 pairs Polk R15's
3 pairs Paradigm Atom (get the shielded ones)
Energy Take 5 (not carried at FS)

Another alternative would be to buy Flunace Speakers. They're made in Canada and are mail order with very nice prices. A friend of mine has some and they're better then the price would indicate.

Any of those speaker packages will run you about $600-$700 which will be slightly over your $1K budget but that's about as low as you should aim for IMO.

Also notice that there's no subwoofer listed as I think you should put that off until later (or only buy fronts and centre for now and leave the surrounds till later using garage sale finds for surrounds until then)

You could also look at the used market to save even more..there's some JBL northridges in the forsale area that would be a great buy

Eddie Horton

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the last poster. Put off surround and sub till later, instead of lowering the quality of everything just for the sake of "getting it now". I'm building my setup piece by piece, saving as I go. It's going to total about $6000-$7000 for everything, which for some is a lot and others isn't much, but doing it over the course of a year instead of trying to get it all at once with $1000 has been great. I get to buy the things I want without sacrifice, and get to do tons of research which I love. Just my opinion, but I'd wait on those surrounds and sub and go with a good Yamaha/Paradigm combo if you've heard these and that's what you really like.

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
hey thanks for the replies,
The problem with the HTR-5740 is there is no S-video which stinks. also, my local sony store has a reciever for 399 and7.1 speakers for 499...he dais he could give it to me for 849.99. What do u think about sony?? the speakers are pretty small...

Also, yamaha is offering a rx-v550 with a bunch of speakers for 949.95. its 6.1, any thoughts?

thanks
Jay

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Sony's DE line is very weak and problematic..and Sony speakers aren't very good either...all in all not a good buy;)

Check out Pioneer or Panasonic as possible replacements for the Yamaha if it doesn't have the connections you require.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jarett,
$1,000 Canadian isn't going to get much(sorry to be a realist here) but it will get you started. I would get a nice set of speakers(one pair) then get a nice receiver and go with that until you can get more funds together to get the center and rears and the subwoofer. Paradigm and PSB would be a good start. Axiom isn't bad either but they were too bright for me.

Combine that with one of the Panasonic Digital recievers like the XR70 or the 50 would do the trick. This way you can get quality stuff to get you started instead of compromising to get quantity. You will appreciate this in the long term.

Consider this to be a good alternative to the mission you set out for.

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I also say get a nice receiver and a couple of nice speakers to get started. Then upgrade when you can. I have found some good speaker deals on Ebay.

Mark gas

Second Unit
Get a yamie reciver for under 500 and get a pair of Paradigm Titans and a CC-170 for the center. for rears use what ever you have laying around now and upgrade later.

Jarett

Stunt Coordinator
Hey thanks again for all the replies,
Where can I find information on the paradigm speakers you suggested for Canada? I find the paradigm site very confusing....for a reciever do u think a RX-V550 or a RX-V650?

Thanks,

Jay

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Jarett,
Try This

Then you should look at their dealer locator and find a dealer to audition the speakers and if you like them(you might find other options), then you should strike up a deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks