1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

$1000 budget projector recommendations?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David K., Jul 8, 2004.

1. David K.

David K. Second Unit

i did a search but non of them were very informative and most of the links in the searches were dead links,

so would some be so kind to help me decide the benefits and flaws of each projector, this is what i came up with from my searches (about an hour of searching and reading)
    btw, I am prone to rainbow effect. but i do not know how bad the infocus x1 is, i see rainbow instantaneously.

I will be using this majorally for 16 x 9 dvd viewing, with occasional 4x3

i will be sitting about 11-12' from the screen, and the projector will be mounted about 11' high. I need something with keystone correction, and screen size will not need to be huge, anything more then 42" diagnal 16x9 will more more then enough.

Sanyo z1 -Horrible customer support, easily dishonors vaild warranty on their projectors, easily prone to dust damage, but $1000 mark, nice picture, no rainbows.

Panny 200 - (dont know much) LCD, Low res, no rainbows Cheap price.

Infocus x1- Faroudja, nice picture, nice price, rainbows worst nightmare. 2x color wheel.

BenQ - light spill on 16 x 9 material, nice picture, Faster color wheel then infocus, no faroudja. very attractive price point.

-----------

rainbows do not bother me unless theyre readily apparent, ie, if i watch Shcindlers List, and it ends up look like a blue/red 3-d movie without the glasses.

right now im considering

Sanyo looks attractive, but there are more then enough complaints on the forum about it being a dust magnet and Customer service horror stories, to scare me from it.

Panny 200 - Im afraid the resolution may be a little too low

benQ 6100 - cheap 3x color wheel, but light spill may be a problem.

2. Daman

Daman Second Unit

i cant comment about the other projectors but i had the x1 for nearly 2 weeks,and i really like the way colours came through- very bright and sharp.
    I unfortunately also saw rainbows,but i gradually got used to it over a matter of few days and i didnot bother me that much after a week of viewing. Just for the peace of mind i returned it back today and am expecting my order of 4805 to come soon. But X1 really rocked and i would highly recommend it if you can overlook the rainbows.

3. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I'll give another solid recomendation to the x1. I thought the rainbows were going to kill my eyesight when I first hooked it up. I watched the credit sequence in a movie and I thought I was going to have a seizure.

However besides getting used to it I also believe properly setting the picture and some kind of burn caused them to almost go away. Now I can credit sequences, or a black and white movie and barely notice any rainbow effect. If possible I would strongly suggest looking at someone else's x1, who has had it setup for awhile.

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

What have you viewed before that lets you know you are prone to seeing rainbows? That's an important question to know how badly you would see rainbows on the Infocus 4805 (about $1500ish) or on the X1.

Otherwise, the Sanyo Z1 is supposed to be a good budget LCD pj.

5. David K.

David K. Second Unit

i know i can see rainbows because ive watched a movie with an infocus dlp projector, i cant think of the model number, but i know it costs just as much as the 4805,

its smaller too, well, i watched an movie on it, and noticed rainbows, as i look at different points on the screen i see rainbows, if i blink i see rainbows.
    Assuming that the infocus x1 is an inferior model to the one i was watching, i will be expecting it to be a much more apparent effect.

But then years of training my eyes in digital imagery, art, digital coloring, illustration doesnt help me be less sensitive to the rainbows either, I even see them on freakin dlp rear projection tvs [​IMG]

6. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

If you see them on a DLP RPTV, you're going to see them everywhere. The current Samsung DLPs have what is essentially a 5x wheel. Even I can't see them at 5x unless I have good source material and try VERY VERY hard. Looks like you should definitely go LCD.

7. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Or possibly used CRT? CRTs might not be for you because they are big and heavy, take more time and effort to set up correctly, but there won't be any rainbows, and with your background in critical images, it might be what would give the best picture for you.

For under $1000 you might consider some of the better 7" ES focus machines (Sony 12xx, Ampro 2000, Electrohome ECP) or you may even find a deal on an 8" EM focus machine.

Matt

8. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Never mind - wrong pj thread. Oops! DLP isn't a good idea for you from the sound of it.