$1000 5.1 speaker setup for Marantz receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sorenson, Dec 3, 2002.

1. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for suggestions on a good 5.1 speaker setup that is under $1000. The speakers will most likely be driven by the Marantz 4300 or 5300 receiver. I don't think I can get a SVS sub squeezed into that budget...which is way to bad.

Thanks everyone.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You COULD squeeze an SVS in there, but it will be close. It depends on how much you want to spend on the mains and what you expect from them.

From Paradigm - 4 Titans and a CC170 will run you right around $600 + tax, that will leave you about $400 for a sub. In that price range, you could pick up an Adire Rava ($399) or an HSU VTF-2 ($449). This would be a very decent basic system.

This does not include cables or speaker wire, which you need to factor in as well.

3. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Just bought a new Marantz, and found that Missions sound very nice with it. Don't know it you could bring it in for a thousand though?

4. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I think you can buy a SVS.

Four JBL S26 $340
    JBL S center $130
    SVS 25-31PCi $550
    TOTAL $1020

The only thing you will need to save is about $60 more for shipping, but this is a super setup (is mine also).

Hope this helps,
    Pablo

5. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
    Let's see... If you were to go with Axiom Audio, their Factory Outlet might have just what you need (they may have minor finish blemishes, but sound sonically identical to their regular speakers).
    [*]The VP100 Center Channel is $198.[*]And a pair of M22T SEs are $360. You could use two pairs to cover the mains and the surrounds.[/list]In total, that'd come to $918, which leaves some over for cables or stands. Anyhow, I have a pair of the M22Ti SEs (in my bedroom system) and I'm very pleased with them. They've been well received in reviews as well:

6. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Want to echo the recommendation for an Axiom setup.
    A great setup would be something equivelent to the Axiom Master Home Theater Setup. The closest I found at a *great* price is:
    1 - VP100
    2 - M3ti
    2 - QS4
    1 - Epic 125
    20ft sub cable
    100ft spkr cable
    --------
    ~CDN$1470
    (~US$950)
    The only thing you might want to upgrade in that would be the taking the sub to an Epic 175 (instead of a 125) or ditch the axiom sub altogether and see if you would have enough for a SVS / Hsu or Rava.
    Anyway you go I think the above may provide great listening satisfaction. If the above combo sounds interesting I found the prices at Audioshop (Canada) . Talk to marc and I am sure he will work with you to get a great system for your needs at a good price. I have found him to be *extremely* helpful and offer rock bottom prices.
    Matthew