What's new

$100/speaker budget? (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - ordered one of the little Part Express DLS-10 subs, and the bad, bad folks sent a catalog with it that forced me to stay up until 2:00 a.m. I'll show them - I'll actually BUY something else and make 'em send it to me...

So, started thinking about maybe doing some different speaks - being a bachelor from hell, I'm not totally worried about 'em being pretty, etc... So, with a $100 budget/speaker, I'm guessing that I'll spend $10 on MDF, $5 on connectivity, and $20 on crossover, leaving me about $65ish? I'm sorta leaning away from metallic speaks too - What would youse guys who've done this sorta thing recommend as far as a tweeter and a woofer? Receiver is a Denon with allegedly 80 watts/channel. Conversely, I might just make a couple of pairs to hook up to my antique Marantz 2230 (30 watts/channel 4 speakers).

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Chuck, I must recommend the SCH K05B50 bookshelf kit. AWESOME. I just built a pair and they sound great. They do need a sub, but they have great midbass and imaging.

They're also under your budget!!!

Click here for specs

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Then again, since I don't have to worry about spousal acceptance factors, would it be an idea to make some "larger" speaks? I mean, heck, MDF is cheap...

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I'm listening to my SCH K05B11's right now, played through my antique Marantz 2215B. The B11's are their full range speaker- the sound is amazing, especially at $80 for parts. Since you already have the sub I would probably do like Jeffrey said and consider the B10's though.
If you want to spend right up to your limit and pick your own drivers (and design your own crossovers), I'd consider the vifa P17 woof and the morel mdt30 tweet. Also check out speakerbuilding.net, wayne has some pretty sweet designs over there. I've heard his dayton MTM's are great.

Jon Couch

Auditioning
I am just now finishing my Thor copies using the Dayton 6.5 and the dayton 1-1/8 tweeters. Total cost approx 85 dollars apiece. Dont know how they sound as I am waiting for the backordered tweeters to ship.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - still looking at the catalog, etc...

The DLS combo is sounding like a good idea... Now for a stupid question - If a woofer is rated at 100-125 watts, and a tweeter is rated for 200, am I going to have problems with that? Or should I look for speakers that are roughly identical in power handling?

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
I'm basically thinking that if I do this, I'm gonna go a little bit "further," and not play with the kits... I think my budget is gonna "grow" a little too...

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
thats how i thought when i wanted a sub.

Hey if i can get a decent sub for 250 i will be happy, oh that shiva looks nice, ohhh but that tempest looks so much better. hhhhmmm that little reciver i thought i would use just can't power the tempest, so i guess will have to get that nice plate amp. good thing my bank account didn't have much more money in it or i would have ended up with dual sealed tempests for stereo subs with their own plate amps :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks