100" Screen for $30. (Or "A fool and his money")

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joseph DeMartino, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I got a link to this site in the ol' spam-filter mailbox today, and was just intrigued enough by the subject line to let it through and look at the site.

Now obviously they can't be selling what they claim to be selling, but I'm curious - what the heck are they telling people to do? I'm not curious enough to blow thirty bucks that I know I'll never get back, but I'm wondering if anyone here knows about this scam. Do they have you buy a big mirror, build a box and then lay your regular TV down on its back? [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Joseph I think you answered your question but maybe they give you the mirror [​IMG]

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah, just a big lens. IT sucks. This is even more ridiculous cause it sounds like all they give you is an "XLTV guide" and you have to find a lens. That's so ridiculous.

If you want a CRT-projector, buy one, probably only cost a few hundred bucks for a beginner model. don't screw around trying to get your little TV to project up on the wall, it's not designed for that.

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    hehe, i remmeber one of these 'companies' awhile back stole a photo from a memebers' theater here and used it on the site to promote these ripoffs..

5. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I thought I was joking when I wrote that. I thought these guys had to have something that at least seemed more sophisticated than that. What a hoot!

I love the pic of the home theater "using" their product. It is truly amazing how bright that picture is given the ambient light - especially the two sconces right on top of the screen with what seem to be streetlight bulbs in them. I gotta[/a] get me one of these things. Do you suppose it will work with my 16:9 56" Toshiba? [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Is there an actual picture (not doctored) anywhere of one of these working?

7. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Yeah, I remember seeing some, i think it was the LCD panel on overhead projector variety. Very dim, colors totally washed out. I don't recall seeing any of the TV-turned upside down with a fresnel lense though. It's unusable pretty much. I think there was also a DIY project with 3 LCD panels in a projector arrangement (not just on an overhead), but I don't remember if he finished that. Of course.... I don't have any links, but maybe google or someone else has links. I think it was a european guy. I also recall vaguely that he, or someone else stopped going forward because the panels cost so much, that you could just buy a projector and get a much better picture than trying to align some DIY panels and failing miserably.

8. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

9. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

There are scads of people selling these "kits" on e-bay and such. Do they work? Yep. Do they work well? No. You're basically throwing a dim blurry image on your wall. You're building a box around your TV with a fresnel lens on one end and the inside of the box totally black. Might be fun for a little junior science project though.

For what its worth the LCD/Overhead projector type work better, but for the same amount of money and less hassle just get a CRT projector which will look 1000% better.

- Jack