100 plus CD Mega changers , are they any good

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_Dufresne, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

I am in the market for a new cd player. I am strongly
    considering the Denon 370 changer.

Yesterday I walked into a shop and fond out that
    for the same price as the 370 ( around 420$ cnd )
    I could get a Pioneer Elite PDF-17 100+1 Mega changer.

I dont know what to do, I never considered a mega-changer
    before and I was wanderind if anyone here has any
    toughts on their practicality and reliability.
    I dont know how the DAC compare but I think they are
    both pretty good.

Thanks

Robert:wink:

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, I have the Denon '370, and for the money, it is a very good CD player. I have not used the Pioneer Elite megachanger you mentioned, but I would not expect a comparably priced megachanger to be as good as the '370. That said, Pioneer Elite megachangers are well regarded. Ultimately, you should compare the two. Note that if you use the analog outputs on the '370, you could take advantage of HDCD decoding with some discs, which some people find advantageous. Just something to consider.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

My megachanger and pronto changed the way I listen to my CD collection so yes IMO they are fantastic. The DAC's in them generally aren't very good but if you go with a digital connection to your receiver or pre amp that's less of a concern. That said the Elite version should sound better then the regular versions. One point though is are you sure 100 CD's is enough? my 300 disc version is brimming to capacity and even my inlaws 110 disc version is over flowing and they're hardly CD collectors[​IMG]

4. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have 2 sony 200 , a 300 and a DVD 300 all filled.
    Dont have to worry about misplacing a Disc when they all are in changers

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, Andrew makes a very good point. I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc units daisy-chained, and the first one is filled. I have just 180 CDs in the second one, but I could very easily fill if I were to take the time. 100-disc capacity isn't a lot. I know that Pioneer at one point made the Elite DV-F27 301-disc megachanger, but I don't know if it is still available. You might also want to consider the Sony CDP-CX455, 'CX450, 'M333ES, and 'M555ES 400-disc megachangers. See www.crutchfield.com for more information on these players. Note that the 'CX455 plays MP3 CDs. Otherwise, the 'M333ES is the ES version of the 'CX455. The 'M555ES is the ES version of the 'CX450.

6. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to everyone.

btw Keith what is it that you have under your
    Energy speakers , damping material ???
    Does it work ??

Robert

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, no problem. I am actually using stair pads under the Energy speakers atop the entertainment center. These are the types of pads you can adhere to wooden steps. I bought them at Home Depot a few years ago. A friend of mine made the wood sectional on top of the entertainment center that houses the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and Sony CDP-CX333ES CD players. Although this wood sectional is well made, I heard the wood resonating with the speakers sitting right on the wood, especially at higher volumes, as you might imagine. The stair pads eliminate this resonating completely.