100' PC to Receiver: cable suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oren, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

I want to connect my PC to my receiver. Snaking a cable around corners and over doorways will take roughly 75'. The PC is 1/8" stereo out miniplug, the receiver input is 2xRCA. So, at some point I will need an adapter.

Questions:
    1. Should I run most of the cable as a skinny 1/8"-type wire, and then split it out at the receiver? Or run most of it as 2xRCA and split it out at the PC?
    2. Whichever wire you suggest, where can I get it cheap? I'm not an audiophile.

(As an aside, I tried coax by going 1/8" miniplug/female F adapter on the PC-->long coax-->female F/RCA adapter-->2xRCA splitter. I got the sound and a lot of hiss. I'm not even sure it was stereo. Not satisfactory results.)

(Also, I am aware of wireless solutions, but I understand they don't sound very good.)

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

3. sam_canavo

sam_canavo Stunt Coordinator

I have my pc connected to the stereo and split it about 5ft
    from the pc and the rest rca. Run is about 40ft no problem
    just slight electrical but not very noticiable and very cheap.

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Go to Rat Shack and pick up a stereo male RCA to mini-jack cable (around $3) and a female to male mini jack cable for the length of the run (around $10 or $15). I've run this around 30ft with no problems, around an air conditioner and bunched up with other wires, with no audible signal degradation.

Hope this helps.