What's new

100 hertz smertz (1 Viewer)

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit
Hey..can anyone tell me just exactly how much difference 100 hz makes? Yes, i get the technical side..but if switch between 50 and 100 i notice nothing. I still see movement in images..some titles still flicker. So i wanna know what the main diff is.

Also, i notice on a lot of straight lines in the image that they are jagged, like they are not anti-aliased. Anyone know what might cause this? For instance a taxi drove by and has 3 lines running horizontal through the side..i can see all jagged edges along the line. Very irrating.

Much appreciated if someone can help me out!

Cheers

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Wow those are funky glasses you are wearing. :D

Refresh rates are independent of resolution. 50 hz and 100 hz will show no difference except in the amount of flicker you perceive in the image (ignoring cabling issues from using double the bandwidth). Panning may be smoother, depending on the framerate of the original source material. If a camera is panning around a landscape, shot at 24 fps, and your TV's refresh rate is 60 hz, there will be a barely perceptible judder (the 3:2 pulldown will work rather well. If the refresh rate is a whole multiple of 24 fps, like 48 hz or 72 hz, the panning should be smoother. If the refresh rate is 50 hz, it will look terrible, unless the video is speed up slightly to reduce the judder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks