$100 for Center Channel, DIY or Premade?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alex Ray, May 18, 2004.

1. Alex Ray

Alex Ray Auditioning

I have a HK AVR 75 and 2 Klipsch RF-35's and a RSW-12.
    This is mainly a home stereo setup, but I want to get more into HT. I also read that my reciever does Dolby 3.1 which expands your music to blend to the center channel and it sounds really cool.

I have lots of background in woodworking and I could make the center channel. I also have a good bit of 5/8" MDF. I have access to a nice table saw, and just about every other hobbyist tool.

Now heres the question. Should I just buy a center channel for $100, or should I DIY? Also, do you have a link to website with an enclosure and crossover design for this?

Thanks for all the help,
    Alex

2. Michael__M

Michael__M Stunt Coordinator

In general, you would like to have your center channel matched as close as possible to your mains. Speakers are usually made to work together to make up the front array. If not, you will hear a difference in the sound of things as they cross from L to R across your stage. This is also apparent with music as the sounds from the mains would not match with your center. I would definitely look into the matching center for your mains. Unless you want to build a whole new set. [​IMG]

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Don't laugh [​IMG]

But if you have a Radio Shack near by they are closing out a very nice center channel made by RCA, the CS550 for $50. I have it and think it was such a good deal and all of the opinions I have read have said the same thing. You should check it out.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

A really big "NO"

OK, time to get serious. Being that you have the Klipsch RF-35 speakers, why not get a center channel from Klipsch? RC-25 or RC-35 should be just what you need. It's going to be virtually impossible to match a Klipsch when it comes to proper timbre. Also, the Klipsch RF-35s are quite efficient, and what you could come up with - whether it be a DIY or a $100 center channel would not have anywhere near the efficiency of the Klipsch.

Personally, I would not go with anything else but a proper Klipsch center channel.

OK, I didn't mean to be so rough with my initial responses. However, I don't think any other center channel, whether it be a DIY or a $50 center channel from Radio Shack would do the speakers justice. With other speakers, a DIY speaker or a $50 center channel might be just fine. Klipsch is just gong to be a whole lot trickier to match.

Finally, one should not go as far as buying a nice set of main speakers for $750 or so, then try and "fill in" with a cheaper center channel speaker.

Best of luck to you.

5. Alex Ray

Alex Ray Auditioning

Well, I called the place that sold me my rf-35s and he had a rc-35 for $200 so I went and bought that. Thanks for the advice.

Alex