100 dollar price cut on PS2??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Keefe, May 1, 2002.

1. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

In the latest PS magazine(spiderman cover), the rumor section states that Sony is going to announce a hundred dollar price drop at E3. They did that a few years ago with PS one to bury the Sega Saturn. I already have one, but if it's true it looks like they are trying to beat Microsoft to the punch by dropping prices.

Has anyone else heard this?

dan

2. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

If that's true, then I'll be picking up my second console after E3. I've also heard rumors (nothing substantial) of a PS2 packaged with the HD/internet hardware as well.

If that's the case, MS has no choice but to announce a price cut as well, as Nintendo has already stated that they're ready to drop to a $149 price point if Sony lowers its cost.

3. Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods Stunt Coordinator

(&*#$&#$#$)*(!!!! I just baught a PS2 today! damn, oh well. When is E3 anyway?

4. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Second Unit

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

[​IMG]

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

FYI... Camp works at ToysRUs...
    what does that [​IMG] mean damn you [​IMG]
    PS2... hmmm... nah. But if the XBOX dropped to $249 tomorrow... I would be IN LINE tomorrow morning [​IMG]
    (I am getting one anywho this summer, price change or not)

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

X-Box is going to have to drop to $200 to stay competetive. People don't care about add-ons, especially when in the case of PS2 they won't be required by any games

8. Dan Keefe

Dan Keefe Second Unit

The same mag I got this info from states that the HD won't be out ontil 2003 bundled with Final Fantasy 11.
    However, the 40 dollar broadband adapter and several games is due out in August.
    I am hoping that Madden 2003 will have an online option so I can play against my friends that have scattered across the country. E3 is sometime in May.
    dan
    PS BTW Rob, I also heard that MS is dropping Xbox by 100 dollars also. I can't remember where I saw that, but the article said the price drop was going to happen in Japan and Europe. Now, I am assuming that Sony isdroppingh the price to beat MS to the punch here in the states... look around, you may save a hundred if you wait a bit[​IMG]

9. BrianB

BrianB Producer

10. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

Dan,

A while ago, EA Sports announced that they aren't planning online capability for their console sports games for this year, maybe longer...

I hope they have changed their minds, but we'll see. At least on the X-Box, we can likely expect NFL2k3 and NFL Fever 2003 to be online...

Also, has anyone heard if the cube is likely to drop maybe $50 if the others drop? I am drooling a little over Resident Evil...

11. James D S

James D S Screenwriter