100% contrast with Adobe computer monitor calibration?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tyler_B, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Tyler_B

Tyler_B Auditioning

Hi everyone,

I recently calibrated my 2-3 month old 19" monitor with the "Adobe Gamma" calibration software. What worries me is the very first thing you are supposed to do is turn your contrast to its highest setting and then adjust the brightness down to get a square pattern to look right. I ended up with 100 contrast and 63 brightness.

Is this bad for the monitor? After the calibration the picture looks very full and bright, but I don't want it to burn in or burn out over time. If the contrast is not supposed to be at max, can anyone recommend a good, accurate calibration program for computer monitors? Thanks [​IMG]

2. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I've had my Samsung 950p 19" Monitor for about 3 years, running every single day practically, and the contrast has always been at full. The monitor is still in like new condition.

I am sold on Samsung computer monitors for life...they got a good warranty to boot (not like I ever needed it).

3. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

I too wondered about that and was a bit paranoid that I removed the Adobe calibration.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It shouldn't be an issue. Unlike a consumer television, a (good) computer monitor will not be affected by 100% contrast.

My 4 year-old Samsung 900P has been operating with 100% contrast, with thousands of hours on it. No burn in.