100" Big Screen TV Projector Lens for $8.95 - True or Scam?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Smith, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

Greetings,
    I've been seeing these on eBay for quite some time now and I have to ask the experience of the forum if this is possible for $8.95 USD. True or Scam? Can this really work, and if so, what's the quality like?
    There are literally hundreds of these for sale on eBay as we speak. Simply search for screen lens
    Let me know what you think
    Cheers, Dan

2. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Scam. Total, absolute scam. Faked home theater pics. Scamola. Scam-a-rama. Scam-a-lama-ding-dong.

Jan

3. BorisM

BorisM Stunt Coordinator

Scam. I have seen it. Don't waste your time. They do in fact sell you the information, but the resulting picture is incredibly poor. So much so, that I would call it a scam.

4. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

A true scam. [​IMG]
    I did build one once. Found the plans online for free, bought a fresnel lens from Barnes and Nobles and used an old tv. The resulting picture was quite funny and maybe a good project for a 6th grade science class.
    I bet if I was 10 again I would have thought it was the coolest thing ever.
    I wonder how many suckers these people on ebay are getting. I seem them everywhere too, on Ubid, yahoo auctions everywhere.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

You know, it must be my membership here at HTF. But I get an e-mail at least once a month advertising a similar, low-cost home theater "solution" for only pocket change. Funny. All this time I thought I had to shell out about $40K to get a Sony G90U and another $20K for a good scaler--when all along I could have. ...

6. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

actually, i know a guy that built one and projected an image to a white sheet he hung outside of his house. From what I hear, the picture wasn't that bad.

7. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Since they are only ~$10, I think one of us with some free time needs to buy one, build it, and post some pics. Who knows? Maybe we will discover the DLP/CRT/LCD/Plasma killer we have all been waiting for....
    Or maybe we will just get a really good laugh [​IMG]

8. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    The lens is certainly a plastic Fresnel lens, sometimes seen in the rear-window of older RVs, to magnify the rear-view mirror.

Ignoring problems of light throughput, I expect you'd have heinous spherical and chromatic aberrations -- the picture will be blurred with color separation.

9. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

Well,
    I think that that answers it.

10. Peter Hunt

Peter Hunt Stunt Coordinator

Haha... I looked at the link and the picture of the guy standing in front of a Cast Away "projected" image. man anyone who has Adobe Photoshop and knows how to use a screen filter can get the same desired effect. I quitting my job in visual effects for film/tv and going where the real money is... Visual effects for duking people on Ebay!

Peter

11. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I still have mine in a closet somewhere. Maybe I'll pull it back out and project it on the screen I use for my NEC LT150. I could do a true side by side. Although the fresnel lens flips the image so right is left and left is right. It is kinda fun when you are expecting the T-rex to come darting in from the left when he suddenly comes from the right instead.