What's new

10 years since...ID4 (1 Viewer)

Mary M S

Screenwriter
“you forgot his role in The Fly”
your so right. It was more of the lighthearted fare which floated to memory! Although “Powder” would be classed as drama.

scottWI

Agent
who said this was so hated? i never heard anything in regards to being universally hated. it had so so reviews, but made a trillion dollars. where in the world to you get that this movie was so hated?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Scott, I think Nicholas meant hated on this forum. I don't personally know anyone that actively hates this film, but than none of my mates are of the snob elite variety, of which this forum has plenty of.

When Independence Day came out in the summer of 1996, it was an instant hit, it was the first film to gross $100m in it's first week, total worldwide gross stands at $811m, only Jurassic Park was more popular at that time.

The mere fact that a movie is immensely popular is reason enough for some people to hate it. Sad but true.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I enjoy the film well enough, but it hasn't held up that well over time. It isn't even my favorite Devlin/Emmerich film. (That would be Stargate.)

While I can name films of that type that I like better (The 5th Element, The Mummy, PotC), there are plenty of others which I don't like. (Armageddon, Day After Tomorrow, The Core) It is still a solid film that has some very silly moments which bring it down a couple of notches.

Jason

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Then explain to me why I love movies that are both more and less popular than "Independence Day".

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Actually, I meant everywhere, not just this forum. This thread was the one and only time I've ever read anyone say anything about it here.

As I said a couple of pages back, if it isn't the 'plot holes', it's the stars and stripes, flag-waving patriotism.

There are lots of movies where, after ten or more years, they don't interest me in the slightest, or I end up sick of them. ID4 never was one of those movies for me. I remember one of my favorite TV commercials for the film - it didn't really have any scenes from the movie, just the score playing over pictures of various families with captions that read "10 times" or "15 times" - how many theatrical viewings those families had...I have never seen that kind of commercial before or since. I saw it 12 times theatrically.

Back them a matinee was only $5...now THAT ALONE makes these 10 years seem like so long ago!

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Part of my 'tradition' involves listening to the entire score...while it isn't exactly legal, it's one of, if not my most treasured albums.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
G/F and i watched it tonight because of this thread. First time to watch it on my Plasma. I still love the movie, and the DVD looks pretty good too. I have the 5 star disc.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
[url=http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/28790eef15.jpg] [/url]

"Witness Exhibit A: My 8th Grade science project - a working rain forest. Mike Dexter threw it out a third story window. It rains here no more.

Witness Exhibit B: An eye patch I wore for a month after Mike beaned me with a raisin in Home Ec. My parents took me to a 3D movie--I saw no third dimension. And of course, how could I forget the pudding incident? I know no one else has.

Well gentlemen, tonight, Mike Dexter will know humiliation.

Tonight, Mike Dexter will know ridicule.

Tonight is the night we fight back.

Tonight...is our independence night."

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
I was a little disappointed when I first saw this, because I thought it was going to be a straight narrative and didn't expect all the homages and the level of silliness. Once I adjusted my expectations and went along for the ride, I started to really like it. And it has some truly great, iconic images (like the one that Steve posted). Count me in as someone who loves this movie.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I love ID4, always have and always will.

To me, it's just the ultimate alien invasion movie, no apologies, just "we show up, we kick your human asses", none of this mysterious shit, no enigmatic messages, no sneaking around, they just came here, crashed our collective party and proceeded to bust up the joint like so many drunk rock stars.

I like that, it had balls.

I can't understand how a movie with a message like 'ID4's can be so hated, the message of working together, of stopping all this fighting amongst ourselves and focusing on what's really important...life, and our right as a species to live it. I don't have a problem with any moment in the film, why would I? It's a science fiction movie, made in the best traditions of sci-fi stories and comics...reality need not apply.

This is the anti-Close Encounters of the Third Kind, a film that's just as big as that classic but portrays the invaders as extremely hostile rather than friendly, it was a nice change of pace IMO. I don't know, maybe i'm thinking too much, but what I do know is that i'll never forget watching this on opening day and being awed by the sheer size of this movie, the frightening sight of those 15 mile-wide destroyers hovering into position above our cities and the spectacle when they opened up their "petals of death" and unleashed their beams of destruction.

Say what you will about ID4, but I for one went to see it to have a good time, not to nit pick about this or that, I went for the same reason I go to an amusment park...to strap in and enjoy the ride.

Not everything can be, or even WANTS to be Gone With the Wind.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

:D

I had hoped for a 10th anniversary release of some kind, but I guess guys like us are lucky to have what we have.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Loved it ever since I saw it in a small theater in Orangeburg SC when I was visiting the inlaws. I was ripped of by the theater but I wasn't the HT enthusiast then either. Loved it so much, it became one of my favorite VHS videos on the 7600 with DNR and when it was finally released on DVD it was in my hands on release day. I'd double dip on this one with DTS and later on HD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
IMO, ID4 is like Shakespeare when compared to ARMAGEDDON. Vastly more entertaining, and certainly easier on the eyes and brain. I detect a modicum of intelligence with Emmerich's movies that I've seen no trace of in Bay's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks