What's new

10 years since...ID4 (1 Viewer)

Dallas

Stunt Coordinator

I will give this movie a thumbs up! Sure, there may be holes in the plot you can drive a (MACK truck line already used ;-) semi-truck through but, I find it extremely entertaining. I usually watch it at least once or twice a year. But, I do that with many movies... here is a brief list:

Fifth Element
National Treasure
Armegeddon
Jurassic Park (also >10 years old)
Saving Private Ryan

And older classics like:

The Sting
The Outlaw Josey Wales

ID4 is a feel good July 4th movie... I also like to watch Saving Private Ryan on Memorial Day and Passion of the Christ for Easter. Just some subtle (and not so subtle) reminders of the price others have paid for our freedoms.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup:

Personally, I never found Whitmore's speech sappy at all, but the other elements of the scene (the crowd full of impressionable faces standing united, the inspiration music building up to the final words of the speech)
seem to be more in line with the 'sappy' feel than the actual words and delivery of the speech.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Gosh, I love this summer flick. I still remember the countdown to release. Now I gotta bust out the DVD and start cookin' the popcorn.....

SteveJKo

Second Unit
I hated this film when I saw it ten years ago. It symbolized everything that was (and still is) wrong in Hollywood. Instead of serious sci-fi we got stripper mothers, Harry Connick on his knees for a gay joke, and Will Smith complaining about how the alien smelled. Add to this that instead of dialogue we got wisecracks and Harvey Fierstein questioning if he should call his shrink or his mother and .....well.....yeah, I felt like 20th Century Fox had stolen two and a half hours of my life that I'll never get back.

Ironically I kind of enjoy this movie now. I know it's REALLY bad for me like MacDonalds food, but hey I quit smoking two years ago and we all have to have at least one vice.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Why all the negativity? Is it because it is a sort of updated version of War of the Worlds? Wise cracks included.

This thread reminded me of the movie so I watched most it last night.It's fun and silly.

Rakesh.S

Second Unit
man it is as big a turd now, as it was back then :)

The only flick, budget-wise, that I can think of that rivals ID4's stupidity is probably The Day After Tomorrow -- same director, no surprise.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Lots of thread crappers who apparently can't read posting here. :frowning:

I like ID4 just fine. Sure there are some groaner moments, but I think in more than a few cases that was intentional. I still enjoy watching it from time to time. It's got spark.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have a kitty litter box that can quick dry that stuff, so people can get more bang for their buck out of the time continuum.

I am a sucker for most things Jeff Goldblum has a role in although I don’t hunt up his filmography.
I find him sexy & strange, and feel he’d be an endlessly fascinating addition to your private circle of friends out in the real world. Enjoy his anti-establishment scientific type; cast parts: “Jurassic Park”, “Powder”, “ID4”. “The Life Aquatic”.
His deadpan deliveries are up my alley.

He would be a large part, (straight man to Will Smiths slapstick), why I thoroughly enjoyed ID4, a quintessential example of the best of popcorn, have-fun movies. Wish I had thought to dig it out on the 4th.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I really enjoyed the film when it was released. I got to see it early somehow. I don't exactly remember how I got the tickets. It had something to do with a club in NYC doing a promotion.

Anyway, I loved it because it was fun. I do admit that it was not the best sci-fi movie ever, but it was a hell of a lot better than Armageddon. I haven't watched it in a while, but yes, this would be a good movie to see this week.

David Arnold's score was very, very good. I have that on my iPod, maybe I'll listen to it on the way home.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I remember seeing this movie, as an adult, when it first came out and thoroughly enjoyed it. While I have no where near the passion for it some folks have in this thread, I can certainly say that I still find myself enjoying it today.

After reading all the posts in this thread, I'm rather surprised at all of the negativity towards this movie. I never realized that there was such a backlash towards it. I honestly couldn't tell you any of the plot holes before reading about them in this thread. I guess I never really put that much thought into the movie, nor do I think it was intended to be thought provoking Sci Fi. I mean seriously, people actually have a problem with the dog surviving at the beginning of the movie? This is a movie about aliens invading Earth right? And people are questioning the dog surviving, or a computer virus defeating the bad guys? Come on people, learn to have a little fun at the movies.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Sorry, Steve enticed me.

I had no clue this was an appreciation movie. Did I read the title wrong? I'm so sorry....The title read "10 years...since ID4" Hmmmm please forgive me anyway.

And sorry, just because I can't understand the mentality behind "popcorn flick," "have-fun," and "guilty pleasure" implies that I don't have "fun" at the theater. I go to dozens of films a year and I seem to have a splendid time at many of them.

If a Taco Bell Beef burrito makes me ill but the Casa Sanchez one does not. Should I just "lighten" up and enjoy the foul oat beef that Taco Bell provides?

MMMMMMM love that "popcorn flick" Mexican food.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

The only positive thing in this film. was Jeff "Crazy EyeZ" Goldblum. He's always a joy. It's a shame he doesn't do more stuff. And if he is doing more stuff, it's a shame he hasn't called me to let me know so I could see it for myself.

MandyHan

Stunt Coordinator
I watched ID4 on Tuesday. Its still a fun movie, but when I saw it in the theater when I was 16, I was blown away by it.

When I watched this week, I couldn't believe how noticable the miniature sets were.

In a related note, did anyone see the rumors that Goldblum is seeing Nicole Ritchie...I didn't see that one coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks