What's new

10 years since...ID4 (1 Viewer)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

"Increasingly negative"...

Talk about a HUGE understatement.

If anyone were to read anything about this film, the sheer hatred for it could make one a little confused - you'd think you were reading about 'Batman & Robin' or something like that.

Being a forum dedicated to the art of filmmaking and technology, the perspectives shared here all lack one aspect of the film that, in this day in age, is the biggest reason it is truly loathed:

Patriotism.

America saves the world.

With a film titled "Independence Day" that features a story taking place during the 4th of July holiday, what the hell do people expect?

It's a pathetic reason to bring politics into a movie like this, but that's just how people see it.

Thank you, everyone, for finally giving me something positive to read about this film. I would never expect anyone to enjoy it as much as I do - no film is like that across the board.

The one and only aspect of the film that's regarded as truly great that I've read over the years, isn't the visual effects, but the music.

Current 007 composer David Arnold won a Grammy for it, only his 4th film at the time - prior to this he was best known for "Stargate", which was made by the same filmmakers as ID4 two years earlier.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I also thought the build-up and initial attack was really well done and up to the film turning to July 4th, it was, as you say, an entertaining popcorn film.

The problem comes with the resolution. I think what this thread shows is that their are quite a lot of flaws with the last part of the film amd its not just down to the "America saves the world " mentality (though I know this does annoy some). It if it had 1 or 2 problems most would be able to get past it, (I can live with the dog surviving in the tunnel because it is an isolated flaw in that part of the film) but I think there are just too many problems with the last third for people to get past. I also think the biggest problem is that the writers wrote themselves into a corner in that they set up the aliens to be so powerful and seemingly impossible to kill that any resolution in which the heroes beat them is going to be seriously test the audience' belief.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Egads! A horrible thought crossed my mind! Imagine a movie called "Canada Day!" :D

As for ID4, it's one of the most significant Laserdiscs I've ever owned. I actually brought the disc to the Montreal Hi-Fi Expo years ago just to see it played on an incredibly well set up CRT based front projection system. That movie clearly demonstrated the incredible potential of future home theater systems which I'm fully enjoying today.

Jake Yenor

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it in theaters and got into the hype of it but now I just can't enjoy the film. Roland Emmerich movies just feel empty to me.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

If Mahr made that argument he's an idiot, and needs to read more SF. Of coruse it makes perfect sense. If he had ever read any good SF, he would know that real SciFi assumes that people aren't breaking the speed of light all crazy, and so a fleet launched (X) would get somewhere years and years later. So there would be some expectation on the part of any fleet to pick up vehicles that would be used as scouts, etc. I never worried about that part of the movie. That argument makes me think of "Ender's Game" where the oldest ships were the ones to reach the bugger home world because they were launched first. Just makes sense.

Hell, the F-14 Tomcat is over 30 years old and it still gets use. The technology doesn't change that rapidly. That kind of complaint is super-nitpicky and doesn't address anything about the film (IMHO).

Whereas, a complaint that the mothership was Mac compatible does make a bit more sense ;)

Loved the film for it's begining, and still enjoy it as camp, but the acting is pretty bad. The only part that I really enjoy anymore is the part with Brent Spiner.. who I think is so over-the-top crazy that it's hilarious.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I've always really liked this movie. Don't see why people have to tear it apart the way they do. Was this the first movie to really be a big dumb summer action movie that made no sense if you look at it under a microscope or something? I thought it was a really cool action flick and still do. Though I also liked Godzilla. I dare anyone to agree with me (and mean it).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

That is sad, well there's always Superman Returns, no? X3? The Break-up? :frowning:

I enjoyed ID4 back in 1996, and still enjoy it today.

Music was good, epic, jingoistic and doomladen, like the film itself, with shades of John Williams Poseidon Adventure (the daddy of disaster flicks) thrown in for good measure, but personally I prefer David Arnold's previous score for Stargate.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I like ID4 for what it is - a summer popcorn flick. I first saw this movie when I was stationed on the island of Diego Garcia and one of my friends acquired a VHS copy of it. It was a horrible picture but I knew I had to see it again. When the DVD era arrived, I bought the special edition and really enjoyed it. Pure mindless fun.

Ok, the movie is totally a collection of mindless cliches, especially the characters. Yes, there is a certain amount of jingoism but then again it is called "Independence Day". And it is ripoff of "War of the Worlds". Oh, and the use of a computer virus to save the day is lame, but so what. Summer movies aren't meant to evoke deep thought, just high grosses.

ID4 will always be one of my guilty pleasures as with most of Emmerich's films. I make no apology.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

It was silly, but the concept was meant to be a sort of tongue-in-cheek updating of H.G.Wells War of the Worlds, substituting a 'computer virus' to the micro-organisms that defeated the Martians in the novel.

Could have been worse, it could have climaxed with the aliens being defeated by the playing of Slim Whitman records - "When I'm calling yooou oooo oooo, oooo oooo" :D

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I saw this on opening day, and really enjoyed it. It doesn't hold up to repeat viewings, but the f/x here were absolutely groundbreaking, and this sure was a crowd pleaser in its day.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same way. Loved this movie when it came out. Even really like Godzilla 98 (for the most part. Mathew Broderick is the only downer in that movie).

I just remember seeing the trailers showing the white house blowing up. No real idea what the movie was about but damn that was a convincing shot.

Jonathan_

Second Unit
My local theater did 24hr showings of ID4 for the first 3 or 4 days it was out. They have yet to do that for any other movie.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Happy 4th of July, fellow HTF'ers from south of the border.

That is, since the US is south in relation to Canada, so I don't mean Mexico...oh, never mind :D

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
This has always been a favorite of mine, and I always enjoy seeing it. I, too, caught a viewing on HBO-HD - actually, my wife was channel surfing the other night and told me it was on. We both sat there and enjoyed it in high-def.

Oh, as far as 'guilty pleasure'? NO guilt here, my friend! :)

... and THANK YOU, Nicholas! ^^^ I consider myself one of the proud flag-wavers of our country!!

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
The speech that the movies el presidente' gave was kind of sappy on repeat viewings... but I loved the parts where all the other countries actually want to work with us to defeat the aliens. Gives you a feel good sense...although I hope it dosn't take alien invaders to do it in real life :)..

BTW, anyone read the book continuation? I kept on passing by it, and by the time I remembered it, a few years had passed :).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks