10 years since...ID4

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Nicholas Martin, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin Cinematographer

10 years ago today (or technically yesterday because of the day-early release) Independence Day was released. A film that, while it was very successful, became one of the most hated films to come around in a good long while, and while I have NO INTEREST in bringing that up, it is the unfortunate truth.

However, this was and is one of my all-time favorites, because I had absolutely no interest or desire to pick apart plot points, characterizations, or the unashamed american sentimentality.

I just got caught up in the eclectic array of characters, the thrilling visuals, the booming sound, my all-time favorite soundtrack (by 007 composer David Arnold), the drama and the comedy.

In short, I LOVED every single minute of this film.

I find it kind of hard to imagine that it's been 10 years...I was 14 and still remember that time vividly. This film made my summer that year, and I will continue to love it in the years to come.

I even have a tradition - proving how ridiculous I am about this - every year, I have a marathon, of sorts - the film takes place over three days, July 2, 3, and 4th and I view the corresponding 'day' segment of the film on that day, making tonight "part 2", so to speak.

Anyone here have any love for this film at all?

Perhaps nowhere near the level of insanity of my fondness for it, but considering I have never read anything but negativity towards it, it would be nice to read something, anything positive people here might have to say about it.

[​IMG]

2. James@R

[email protected] Second Unit

I don't really have any love for it, but I applaud your 'tradition'. That's really cool. [​IMG]

I took a similar approach upon the film's release, and went to a late showing so that July 4th would arrive while I was watching the film.

Overall, I really liked the early part of the film (the build up of the arrival and subsequent countdown), but didn't care much for the rest of it. I do remember it having one of the best promotions in recent years though- starting with that classic Super Bowl spot.

3. DavidPla

DavidPla Cinematographer

I remember seeing that first teaser trailer with the White House blowing up and I think that was the very first film that I began anticipating. The marketing was tremendous. I definitely loved it when I saw it. Hell, it was an event movie that summer. And audiences had fun and loved it as well in the Summer of 1996. This was just before the internet became what it became, before people would nitpick every little thing under the sun. It was just a fun time at the movie theatre and that's what people wanted.

4. Nicholas Martin

I never saw that until the DVD, but I can easily understand how that would have impressed many during its airing.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

This sums up my feelings about the majority of disaster movies (most recetnly War of the Worlds). The build-up and initial "strike" is the best part. I did enjoy the initial human response as well, those dogfights were fun.

--
    H

6. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Just came across it the other night on HBO-HD and decided to sit down and watch the whole thing for the first time in years(even though I own it on DVD). It really is a fun movie and I enjoyed revisiting it. I remember seeing it twice at the theater in the summer of '06 and it's still as entertaining now as it was back then. Who cares what the critics think anyway?

7. Nicholas Martin

Never have, and never will.

8. AlexF

AlexF Supporting Actor

Alex
    This is one of those few utterly brainless and mind-numbing movies (that tend to come out in the summer) that I've enjoyed relentlessly ever since it's release.

Sure it's got plot holes that a Mack truck could easily navigate through, but the visuals are so much fun, and I must admit, it's one of the best modern B-movies out there (for me). Rates even higher than Mars Attacks!, and Tim Burton's one of my favourite directors.

9. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Seeing it that first time when I was 10 years old it was pretty awesome.

Now it's just meh.

10. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    I saw this in the theater and loved it. I think this flick upped the ante as far as FX go in summer blockbusters.

Now I agree with some of the above posts -- the first half of the movie is really cool. The dogfight is a lot of fun, too.

11. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I saw it when it was 15 and I LOVED IT. I really still do like it in a strictly "fun" sense. It is just WAR OF THE WORLDS after all!

12. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I loved this film when it came out. I think it helped A LOT that I didn't have any prior knowledge of who was in it or what the plot was exactly. I only saw a teaser poster that said "ID4" and later the teaser trailer with the Whitehouse blowing up. I couldn't wait to see that movie and ended up going to see it 3 times in 4 days. Very fun film for me.

Yeah, it has flaws, but it is one of the better popcorn flicks that have been released in a long time. I put it in the same vein as Con Air, and Armageddon. (Although it did take me a couple of viewings until I liked Armageddon. However, now that I do, I can classify it as a fun movie like ID4.)

13. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Did not like it and never will. I see those motherships and wish for a film version of Arthur C. Clarke's - Childhoods End to be made.

Watching V evokes the same longings.

14. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Back when I first saw it, (Good god, I would have been TWELVE when I first saw it?!) I loved the first act, was meh on the rest, and knew even at age 12 that the computer 'cold' stuff was ridiculous.

Now, a few years back tried to watch it, and then it hit me in the first act. I just don't find the image of buildings blowing up very fun to look at it. I guess I just never realized to that point how much 9/11 had really affected me, seeing the twin towers come down for real in a deliberate attack, made the whole image of a ruthless attack on free people more disturbing then thrilling.

I have since sold my DVD copy because of this.

15. Nicholas Martin

When I first saw it - in theatres, of course - I wasn't 'excited' by the destruction sequence, because I was so wrapped up in everything that it actually saddened me. However, the whole idea of striking back as a united front - at the latter half which people seem to dislike, was and is a big reason for it being a favorite film of mine.

By the way,

I started this thread because I was hoping to find that people could look at this film positively, so if my original post wasn't clear on that...

was not really the intent here.

If no one had anything positive to say about it, I would have preferred no replies at all to more of the same old negativity, because if you don't have anything nice to say, well you know the rest.

16. Stan

Stan Producer

I really enjoy this movie, watch it at least twice a year and probably will view it this week.

This was actually my first widescreen VHS purchase. Never, ever bought a full-screen VHS tape. Thankfully DVD came out just as I was getting into widescreen VHS, so only wasted money on about 20 VHS movies.

Really liked it when the DVD came out with the extended cut. Much better version of the movie, not just an extended version with a bunch of deleted crap put back in. Very well done.

17. Tarkin The Ewok

Tarkin The Ewok Supporting Actor

I'm a big fan of the movie, and I own the 5-Star Edition. When I saw the trailer where they blow up the ESB, I was freaked out and couldn't go to sleep that night. I ended up seeing it months later at my junior high, and seeing it with a hyped-up crowd was just unbelievable.

One of my favorite scenes is the stirring speech on July 4th. That still gives me chills whenever I watch it.

18. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Interesting that you have this tradition, because I do the same thing. The only difference is I do the whole thing on July 4. I appreciate this movie for what it is, a popcorn flick.

19. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

I saw "Independence Day" during opening weekend ten years ago and I found it to be satisfactory initially but it literally didn't hold up for me for longer than a few days. The more time passed after seeing it, the more flaws and gripes emerged.

I remember Robert Loggia made an appearance on "Politically Incorrect" to promote it and Bill Maher was just brutally mocking the movie and Loggia was pretty much speechless, he really couldn't defend the criticisms Maher was making. It's been a decade but I remember him essentially saying "you mean to tell me that we're expected to believe that they flew this 50-year-old alien spacecraft into the modern mothership? That's like flying a biplane onto an aircraft carrier" and Loggia pretty much admitted that it was inexcusably unbelievable, or he came as close to admitting it as a guy who's technically there to promote the movie could get away with.

Time hasn't been kind go this film, and as the original poster said, the overall consensus has become increasingly negative over the years. It's a big, dumb and obnoxious film with a dated style and zero substance.

"War of the Worlds", "Signs" and even "Mars Attacks!" are exponentially better.

20. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I was twelve when this one came out too. I watched this movie constantly on VHS when we got it for Christmas that year. I still know pretty much the entire movie, word for word. I haven't watched the whole thing in years, but I did check it out for a minute on HBO HD the other day. It's mindless fun, that's for sure. And sometimes, that's enough.