10" Titanic Vance Subwoofer Kit ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianJ>Y, Feb 26, 2003.

1. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

Is there anything under $400 that will outperform this sub?? Read Wes Phillip's review and he thought it was by far the best sub for $350. I wish I could go the DIY route, but I have no tools and no experience. [​IMG] Oh and which do you all think would be better...3 DLS subs(when they're back in stock) or one of these?

-Brian

2. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Brian,
    I have heard good things about the 10" titanic but my undertsanding is that there are subs that can do as well for the money. Yes DIY will do better for the money, but since that's not an option (yet[​IMG] ), I think you can look into used or for a diyer who is upgrading or who will even build you one for that price. I think at $400 Brian Bunge from Rutledge Audio might be able to swing something that will best the Titanic. You would have to check that out with him though. I've read of some folks getting unpowered SVS subs used and powering them with an old receiver or even using a sub amp from PE for about $100 to make for a killer sub at around $350- yes ,you heard right. There are ways to get what you want but you may need to do a little leg work. Also, I think the VTF-2 can be had for about the price you are talking and that may outgun the Titanic- again I'm not sure of that. A used Rava- a used Tempest (etc) will do, right? Hmmmm- what else...oh, yeah: The DLS 10, although perhaps the best bang for your 10" sub under $200 out there is still only that- a bargain sub that will go down perhaps flat to 28Hz, but not much beyond that in a significant way, so three will sure may be sweet, but you aren't going too much further down deep this way if this is what you want. In fact- I think 2 would be better than three just not to have to deal with cancellation issues, etc. but that's me. I think it's still better to get a sub that will go lower and louder than two that just go louder- again that's just my opinion. But you can't beat 2, 10" subs for $200 can you- It's tempting I know. Now I'm tempted.
    Hmmmmm. :b

3. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Hello, I have a 10" titanic kit, and it's quite nice. Unfortunately I think they are having quality control issues on the amp. My cousin and one of my buddies both bought kits near X-mas, and there was a huge delay in the shipping. They got theirs from the same batch, and both are having distorion problems that I dont have. I think they might have got a botched shipment of amps. Both got theirs on ebay for 270, and 260 respectively. I'm not sure what to say about this. I like mine alot, but others have had problems.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Walt,

Are you sure you're talking about the same sub? The VD kit is very different from the DLS 10 sub, which is the one everyone around here is having amp trouble with.

The VD kit uses the same basic amps that Adire Audio also sells. What I'd like to hear is if anyone has moded the amp to remove the 30Hz boost. I think this would further improve on the sound of the sub. On the website they state they're using the 300-794 amp, but now that amp is sold without the boost. The 300-796 is now the amp with the boost at 30Hz.

5. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I made the mod using the default "No Boost" values. It allowed it to play louder over the entire range, but bottoming became a major issue at maximum levels, perhaps due to the lowered rumble filter? I felt the boost was a bit excessive.

I eventually added an ART 31 band EQ to smooth out the response, and all was fine with a high pass around 28hz. Great with music.

Tha amp in the kit was labeled 300-796 and the value of the resistors indicated a 6db boost at 30hz, which is in line with the description.

I am a casual enthusiast, no tech background...

6. BrianJ>Y

Thanks guys for your responses, Jose you bring up a lot of good possible options...svs with amp for around 350? I'll try to look for that. Walt and Colin, thanks for describing how your titanics are performing...270 from ebay is very tempting, I may wait patiently for another auction. Oh and Colin, how loud(db's) would you say your titanic goes before bottoming out? I'm gonna have to email somebody at partsexpress to check if it still comes with the 30hz boost amp or not.

-Brian

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I never bottomed it on music. Rush - Moving Pictures, for example, was fantastic and I could get 92db peaks from the system in my room, 9 ft from the sub, 7 ft from the mains, 3000 cubic feet.

Movies would kill it, though. -15 from ref and it would run out of gas. Still loud, but stressed. This is after the mod, with or without EQ / Hi pass at ~28hz.

But from a single 10", it was respectable and rumbled fine for casual/moderately loud listening. I'd say it is best for apartment dwellers who care about quality setups or people who will never demo anything too loudly. 2 would be spendy but I once thought of getting a 2nd driver and building a dual box...

8. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Brian,
    You said, "What I'd like to hear is if anyone has moded the amp to remove the 30Hz boost. I think this would further improve on the sound of the sub."

So, do you think the 300-794 amp will sound better than the 300-796 since they are the same amp with the exception of the boost at 30Hz?

I'm thinking of getting this 300-794 and can get it with a little dent or two for about $90 (and maybe free shipping)- that's why I'm asking.

José

I hope you don't mind this, BrianJ>Y.

9. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Brian,
    You said, "What I'd like to hear is if anyone has moded the amp to remove the 30Hz boost. I think this would further improve on the sound of the sub."

So, do you think the 300-794 amp will sound better than the 300-796 since they are the same amp with the exception of the boost at 30Hz?

I'm thinking of getting this 300-794 and can get it with a little dent or two for about $90 (and maybe free shipping)- that's why I'm asking.

José

I hope you don't mind this, BrianJ>Y.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jose,

Yes, I think that it will sound better. The built in boost in the amp will raise the Qtc of the system. This may give you more "slam" but will not be as accurate.

What do you plan on using the amp for?

11. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Brian,
    I'll PM if that's ok, since I don't want to get BrainJ>Y mad for a hijack.

12. BrianJ>Y

I don't mind it Jose oh and you were right about the "not yet" since I've decided to go the DIY route, it's just a lot more bang for the buck so the time spent should be worth it. Although I will be cheating a little since I'll be buying a prebuilt enclosure, maybe bracing it myself if it needs it.

Brian, I'm sure you're very knowledgeable with subwoofers so if you don't mind me asking...what would you say is the best 12" sub driver to go with a 2.1ft^3 enclosure and a 350watts rms plate amp? I'm gonna try to experiment with winisd but as of now I don't have a clue on how to use it, unless it's as simple as entering specs...?

-Brian

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Brian,

Is this for a sealed sub? If so, I'd use either the Dayton DVC 12" driver or the Stryke AV12. The 350W amp may be a bit much for the DVC 12" but would be perfect for the AV12.

If you want to go ported you'll need a larger box for either of these drivers.

14. BrianJ>Y

Brian, my main goal is for this sub to produce a pretty flat response from about 70 or 80 down to around 23hz. What do you think would be the best choice for a driver,enclosure, and amp? My budget is less than $400. As you can see, i'm a total beginner with the whole DIY practice.

Heres what I'm thinking of...don't know which combination would give me the best HT performance

-PE or rythmik plate amp
    -Titanic MKII 12", Shiva, Tempest, or DVC 12" and 15"
    -Enclosure is the one from PE 3cu.ft.(how much would the 3/4-1" MDF cost for this??) vented or sealed but if I've been reading correctly vented is better for more extension down low?

The stryke AV12's and 15's seem a bit pricey for me, but it's not out of the question if performance with them is going be significantly better than the other drivers.

What do ya think? I'm basically looking for some tried and true designs for my budget.

-Brian

15. Rich_Ave

Rich_Ave Stunt Coordinator

BrianJ>Y,

One other possibility you may wish to consider is the NHT 1259 12" sub with a 300W plate amp available from Madisound. I have a 3ft^3 sealed NHT sub and am very pleased with it. If building your own enclosure is an option for you, then it will probably come pretty close to your budget. If you prefer to get a pre-built enclosure, then it may exceed your budget.

I also have the 10" Titanic kit (Brian B - I finally made the mod and add some additional stuffing, sounds better (I didn't add the additional brace yet though)). I'm planning on taking some measurements, so I may be able to provide at least a comparison of the NHT and the Titanic (if you're still interested in the Titanic).

Rich

16. BrianJ>Y

Rich,

Thanks for the suggestions. Although, the NHT doesn't seem too impressive for it's price, seems like the shiva would do just as well or better for 25 bucks cheaper and the titanic mkII 12" would most likely be better? I'm basing this on specs, specifically xmax, which is just about the only term I understand completely... Would somebody care to enlighten me on how I would go about "modeling" subs with different enclosures,port lengths, etc? I already downloaded winisd, a quick tutorial would be great.

-Brian

17. Rich_Ave

Rich_Ave Stunt Coordinator

Brian

I haven't heard the Shiva, but I have heard good things about it. I'm sure you'll get some useful feedback from some Shiva owners. I would caution you about just looking at x-max however. You might want to pick up the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook (if you don't already have it). There is some really good information in it. I believe Vance Dickason used LEAP for the simulations, unfortunately, LEAP is a little expensive.

Rich

18. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

This may seem like a weird question but:

Where are Parts Express amplifiers manufactured?

LJ