What's new

10" subwoofer surround worn out (1 Viewer)

Nathan Bjork

Stunt Coordinator
This is a speaker question, but the speaker is in my car, so I dont know where to put this thread. Admins move if you need to.

I "inherited" my brothers truck ('94 Yota pickup) and he has a 10" kicker comp sub in the back. The sub has been very close to the front seat and when the sub starts kickin, the rubber surround hits the back of the front seat. A year of that has created a slit (1in) is the rubber surround of the speaker. The little slit lets some air out, and you can here the air (fluttering noise). Does anyone know how to fix this? Mabey some type of glue, a new surround, or do I have to buy a new sub?

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Nathan,

I'd say the driver needs replacing. While you're at it, get a driver/box combination that doesn't get interference from the seats.

-Robb

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
As a temporary measure, you could cover the split in the surround with rubber cement. This will change the parameters slightly, depending on how much is needed, but should seal the leak for the moment. Ultimately the woofer will need to have the surround replaced (often that will cost about $45-85 if you have someone else do it), or the whole woofer replaced.

Aaron Gilbert

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing you could try is nail polish, which I have seen used on the cone of a woofer but not on the rubber surround, hmmmm, maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't, its just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks