10" subwoofer surround worn out

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Nathan Bjork, May 24, 2004.

1. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

This is a speaker question, but the speaker is in my car, so I dont know where to put this thread. Admins move if you need to.

I "inherited" my brothers truck ('94 Yota pickup) and he has a 10" kicker comp sub in the back. The sub has been very close to the front seat and when the sub starts kickin, the rubber surround hits the back of the front seat. A year of that has created a slit (1in) is the rubber surround of the speaker. The little slit lets some air out, and you can here the air (fluttering noise). Does anyone know how to fix this? Mabey some type of glue, a new surround, or do I have to buy a new sub?

2. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Nathan,

I'd say the driver needs replacing. While you're at it, get a driver/box combination that doesn't get interference from the seats.

-Robb

3. Nathan Bjork

Ok thanks Robb

4. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

As a temporary measure, you could cover the split in the surround with rubber cement. This will change the parameters slightly, depending on how much is needed, but should seal the leak for the moment. Ultimately the woofer will need to have the surround replaced (often that will cost about $45-85 if you have someone else do it), or the whole woofer replaced.

Aaron Gilbert

5. TimRP

TimRP Stunt Coordinator

Another thing you could try is nail polish, which I have seen used on the cone of a woofer but not on the rubber surround, hmmmm, maybe it would work maybe it wouldn't, its just a thought.

6. Nathan Bjork

ok, thanks, I think i will try some rubber cement for a temp fix