10-packs of blank DVD-R's for $7.99 @ CompUSA

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by John Telleria, Sep 1, 2003.

1. John Telleria

If you're looking to stock up on blank DVD-R's, get over to your local CompUSA store. They have a great deal on their CompUSA-branded blank DVD-R's, as advertised in their Sunday paper insert. 10-packs for $7.99 with instant rebate. And no limit. I picked up 5 10-packs this morning. The discs are 1x speed and each comes with a slimline case. I've used CompUSA branded DVD-R's in the past and had no problems burning with my Pioneer A04 burner or playing them back on my standalone dvd players. By the way, CompUSA stores are open today.

2. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I bought 3 ten packs of the DVD-Rs and a few DVD+Rs ($3 for 2). Be warned, however, that CompUSA uses several different manufacturers' media as their own - they don't create and manufacture their own media, they just buy someone else's and put their label on it.
    The two major manufacturers of CompUSA media are Princo and Optodisc. If you get the Optodisc media, you should be in decent shape. However, with the princo discs, your mileage will vary. Some people have had no trouble with them, but some people have nothing but trouble. The biggest complaint is that the media goes bad after several months. You might get a successful burn, but it very well might go bad in a short amount of time.
    I haven't had any burn troubles with the CompUSA Princo's that I just bought, but time will tell if they hold up. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that they were Princos until I got them home and tested them.
    Caveat Emptor!

BTW: my burner is an NEC-ND1300A -R+R

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I've had good luck with their +RWs, but I'd suggest staying away from the +Rs (write-once)- I bought 4 of them and so far have had problems with the 3 I tried recording on. (They recorded OK but have problems playing back.)

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yep not worth it 3 out of 4 in package bad

5. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Well, the +Rs are manufactured by Ritek, while the -Rs are manufactured by Princo. It's surprising to me that the +Rs have problems while the -Rs do not - Riteks are usually rock solid while Princos are utter crap.

6. Albert C

Albert C Agent

I stay away from anything branded "CompUSA". I also will not purchase anything with a "CompUSA" rebate. 4 out of 4 CompUSA rebate attempts have failed to show up, for me and a family member, filed last year.

Albert