10" or 12" Sub?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Aaron_Mum, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

I currently have Paradigm monitor 7's and a cc-370, the next thing I want to add is the sub. I am concerned with the sub performing well for both music and movies but I am more concerned with music. My research so far has led me to the PDR-10 as it is in my price range and good value the money ($479). I was told to go with a 10" driver for better response with music but how much am I giving up not going with a 12" driver for movies (keep in mind that my room isn't huge)?

My other question is: are there any other subs besides the PDR-10 or PDR-12 that I should be considering? (By the way the most inexpensive SVS will cost about double that of the PDR subs to get up into Canada...tear)

Thanks much!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I’m not sure of the cost in Canada, but the Adire Rava @ 400 USD is a very good multi-purpose sub with an emphasis on music.

3. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

I've heard the PDR 10 and the Paradigm model above it. In one word I'd describe them as "slow". I demo'd a techno cd on it and it was way behind. You may not listen to techno, but this is a good test. For the money, Maple or American, you could find something better.

4. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

If $479 Canadian translates to about $299 USD, then you are getting a decent deal on that PDR-10, IMHO. I had one and it was fine for movies and music, though I never tried techno through it. (The movies Blade and The Matrix sounded fine though, and I didn't notice any "slowness" and they seem to have techno-style music in them). The difference between the PDR-10 and the PDR-12 is that the 12 will go a bit lower. I'm not sure if I had to go and buy this huge PW-2200 that I have now, but the PDR-10 always made me happy. Have you looked at the PS-1000?

5. John S

John S Producer

15" but of course....

6. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

I agree with John, the bigger the cone of the woofer, the better.

A well designed 15 or 18" woofer can sound as "tight" or musical as a 8".

7. Aaron_Mum

Thanks for the replies.

I have not looked at the PS-1000. I seem to remember reading a poor review on this sub (not sure where I read that so I may be wrong). In any event I will go have a listen to the PDR-10 and the PS-1000 and see if the 1000 is worth the extra cash. Not sure if I can get the Adire Rava locally but I will check it out if possible.

Is the PDR-10 that much better than the PDR-12 for music to justify the trade off of low end?

I will not allow techno to touch my eardrums [​IMG] but I will pay attention to "slow" response during an audition.

8. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

I was able to get a pdr-10 for $375CAD about two years ago.

replaced it recently with the 10" pw-2100 which is more bass than most people have ever known despite it's small driver size. I paid $700CAD for the pw-2100, and I've heard of canadians getting it for as low as $650.

It's a huge step up from the pdr-10

9. RobF

RobF Auditioning

Hi. I have had the PS1000 for just under a year now and listen mostly to movies. Having said that, last weekend I had the opportunity to demo the PW2100. Most people's comments on the PS1000 have been that it sounds too boomy. After listening to the PW2100, I would have to say that I would have to agree. On top of that, the PW2100 is smaller than the PS1000! (my wife would like that).

Ernie, do you have any further comments on the PW2100? I think I may go back to the store and see what kind of deal I can get on a trade up to the PW2100.

When I asked about price originally on the PW2100 without consideration of a trade-in, the response was it can be had for under $700 CDN.

Rob

10. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Aaron
    I have the exact same speakers as you as well as the PDR 10 you are considering, I do not listen to much techno, but I do listen to some (if you consider New Order Techno) and I would not describe the sub as slow at all, it is very responsive. I half regret not buying the 12, because I think it is a better match with the rest of my speakers (my surrounds and rear surrounds are all Paradigm as well).

But all in all, if you choose this route you will not be disappointed, in my opinion.

11. ernie.bin

I've been thrilled with the pw-2100 so far, particularly because of it's small size.

It reaches a lot lower then the pdr-10 does, and does it quite cleanly. My room isn't very big, but I run the pw-2100 at about 1/4 volume and it can be felt downstairs in my 7 year old well built house.

The downside is that I have to turn it down earlier than my pdr-10 [​IMG]

I actually have to turn it right off late at night.

ps. I paid $700 which included a $45 AR subwoofer cable. but I've heard of people getting it for $650.

12. RobF

RobF Auditioning

Have to ask out of curiosity. Did the $700 include taxes?

13. ernie.bin

nope. $700+ 14.5% tax out here in beautiful bc [​IMG]

14. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I'd just go with the PDR-10. It "feels" good and sounds good. The PS-1000 "feels" much better than it sounds. With the PS-1000, your shirt will literally shake when you watch the pod races, but it definitely SOUNDS a little boomy.

I'd go with the PDR-10 over the PS-1000. I haven't heard a PW-2100, I went straight to the PW-2200.

15. GrahamJW

GrahamJW Stunt Coordinator

To be honest, I had the PDR 10 for 4 months and decided to trade it in on a PW2200 v2(the dealer gave me full value for the PDR10). The PDR 10 was a nice sub, but I found it couldn't keep up with the demands of the lower frequencies in the latest DVDs (LOTR etc). I haven't auditioned a PW2100, but I bet it would out perform a PDR 10. Your mains (monitor 7s) will extend down to 33Hz; the PDR 10 goes down to 27Hz (according to Paradigm specs), so you aren't adding that much low end to your setup with the PDR 10. The PW2200 v2 will extend down to 18Hz (PW2100 down to 23Hz), so you would be significantly enhancing the low end of your setup.

I would at least consider a PW2100 for your setup.

Cheers...John

PS: I found the PW2200 could handle any type of music including my young nephew's techno stuff

16. Aaron_Mum

Thanks again for the responses, this has really helped me out.

Looks like it will pay off in the long run to save up a little longer for the PW2100 or PW2200 as the PDR10/12 will leave me wanting more. Sounds like these subs will work well for music as well as give me lots of extra punch for movies.

Good point regarding the PDR-10 not extending that far below the monitor 7s, I didn't think of that!

17. JosephF

JosephF Auditioning

Gee, if I had been a member sooner I would have offered you my PS1200 that I am trying to sell in order to get a PW2200. Oh well, I think that you will be very pleased with the PW series, at least from what I have heard.[​IMG]