What's new

10" dual woofers vs. 12" single woofer? (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Having just blown my old main speakers with Apocalypse Now Redux, I went speaker shopping this morning. The best sound in my price range that I found was that provided some JBL Northridge 310 speakers. These have dual 10" woofers; they sounded decent, but don't really have the oomph of my old 12". The Studio 312s sounded nice but had a sizable price premium for adding the 12".

But having just picked up an SVS 16-46PC, maybe I'm covered for bass and don't really need that output in the mains, since they'll be set to small anyway. What is the thinking on the smaller dual woofers vs a single large one?

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Well, you should get more accurate sound in the upper 40 HZ to the 200's. This should be more than enough especially with an SVS on the back end of it.

for an example, I have paradigm monitor 9's as my mains and cross them over at 80 HZ so my svs can do the rest. They have 2 8" woofers and are ported so they can extend below 50HZ, but I don't need them to. I just need them to be clean and roll off cleanly at about 80HZ. So the addition of the added low end from your mains is nice, but the accuracy that the 10's would provide might just be better.

This all is a subjective matter of opinion. Also have you looked at other makers like polk, paradigm, psb, definative Technologies, B&W or Klipsch? Those might have a speaker that is just what you are looking for.

PomingF

Second Unit
Mark, surface area wise two 10" should give the equivalence of one 15" but you can't just compare square inches across speaker brands with different designs (carbinet, tuning, crossovers, drivers, etc.).

PF

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Mark. If you really would like a nice set of speakers go to Adire Audio or better yet, acoustic-visions.com and look up the model number Kit 281. Reviews are well documented on this site and hometheatertalk.com as well. The price for this speaker system unbelievable.
Link Removed

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I was asking about woofers in mains, not subwoofers.

Martice, thanks for the suggestion, but I've gotten enough involved with DIY to figure out that it's a big waste of money for me; I have neither the tools nor the talent to make it work. I'm glad some guys can manage it, but it's just not in the cards for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks