10 Cloverfield Lane

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
That trailer looks pretty good and the original movie was one of the better found footage movies, despite the annoying characters. Plus, this has John Goodman!

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Is this related to Cloverfield in any way other than just a 'monsters' theme?

At any rate, I can't wait! Can't believe I never even knew about this movie's existence until a week or so ago.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I only saw the trailer recently but haven't heard how it's "connected" to the original (if at all).

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
It's clearly meant to make people think about the original, as it's by the same production team, and the trailer prominently displays the title as 'Colverfield', before slowly fading in the '10' and 'lane' afterwards. Other than that, I have no idea.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I suspect a sort of bait-and-switch, where the marketing makes the first weekend audience think they're getting an actual sequel, but the connections are minimal.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
I personally think it's a "series" of movies with the Cloverfield name...not related except they are monster related.

This is J J. ya know :P

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I personally think it's a "series" of movies with the Cloverfield name...not related except they are monster related.

This is J J. ya know :P
I forgot the exact terminology JJ used to describe this movie, but I recall it being very similar to how Ridley described "Prometheus" in relation to Alien.

I'm thinking same universe as "Cloverfield" but only tangentially related if at all. Maybe we get filled in on some of the backstory to "Cloverfield"

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Anyone planning on checking this out.

Currently at 89% with 65 reviews. May try to check it out tomorrow.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'll probably see it, but it's not a high priority either - I saw the first one at home and would probably be happy to do the same here. I see it is playing in IMAX, which is always tempting - but since my local IMAX charges $22 a ticket for a 2D movie, I have to be much more selective than I want to be about what I see now. I kinda hate that that's what's happening with pricing - I'd love to be able to go see most things without having to calculate if it's really worth the investment, but it's hard to justify impulsive or whimsical movie choices when it's that expensive.

Reactions: EricSchulz

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it. It felt like an extended "Twilight Zone" episode. Mary Elizabeth Winstead gave a phenomenal performance, with most of the film centered around capturing her reactions as circumstances and her understanding of things evolve. John Goodman was also terrific, as a character that first seems like a typical John Goodman character, until the weird moments start piling up. Stage actor
John Gallagher, Jr. did exactly what he needed to as Emmet, the third resident of the bunker, but he had the lightest lift of the three.

The first four-fifths of the film feel like Room meets Z for Zachariah. The final fifth sends it into wildly different territory, but felt like a rewarding payoff for the audience's investment in this story.

There are certain fictional companies and brands that cross over both films. This film takes place in the former Confederacy, mostly Louisiana. Nothing specifically confirms or contradicts that the events of the first film in New York City happened, but based on some of the characters' reactions to this crisis it's unlikely that they did. The monsters in the final act of thise film are explicitly aliens. Depending on your interpretation of the final scene of the first film, the Clover monster either fell from the sky or was a dormant deep sea creature. If it's the former, it could have been a bioengineered creature released by these aliens to wreak havok on a major metropolitan center.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
There are certain fictional companies and brands that cross over both films. This film takes place in the former Confederacy, mostly Louisiana. Nothing specifically confirms or contradicts that the events of the first film in New York City happened, but based on some of the characters' reactions to this crisis it's unlikely that they did. The monsters in the final act of thise film are explicitly aliens. Depending on your interpretation of the final scene of the first film, the Clover monster either fell from the sky or was a dormant deep sea creature. If it's the former, it could have been a bioengineered creature released by these aliens to wreak havok on a major metropolitan center.
My take on this is that this could not be taking place in the same universe as the first "cloverfield". The events of this film would virtually require at least some reference to the first "cloverfield". At the very least, Michelle should not be as suspicious of the possibility to an attack. This unfortunately makes it a pretty big cheat to put in some blink and miss it references to the soda company and the return address on the envelop in the air filtration room just to slap the name "cloverfield" on it.

And yeah, the Monsters vs Aliens thing muddies this up as well. I was straining to see if he big alien was in fact the "cloverfield monster" There was a shot or two where I thought it could have been.

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els