10, 12 or 15" sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by EricT, Oct 25, 2002.

1. EricT

EricT Auditioning

I'm currently comparing Velodyne HGS II 10" vs 12" and maybe the 15". But for main comparison, is the difference between the 10 and the 12 significant if my primary use is 2-channel music (75%). Room is 13x20x7.5=1950 (with 2 openings into another room). Although I wouldn't classify myself as a bass fanatic, my speakers go down to 40hz so I'd like to fill in the bottom end but I won't be trying to shake the house. So, the price difference isn't a factor but I'd like to get away with the smallest box possible.

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

I would try to find a dealer with a return policy that allows you to upgrade. Then try the 10" sub and see if it satisfies you, if it doesn't then you can go to the 12" and so on.

3. Michael Roderiques

Michael Roderiques Stunt Coordinator

Eric

At 2000 cubic feet, an HGS 10 or 12 is going to work well in your room. An HGS 15 is going to be very good and will support the lowest frequencies. This will be a great addition to a 2 channel system.

If size is an issue, you may also want to look into the SPL line of Velodyne products. While not quite as small as the HGS, the SPL1200 could prove to be a good choice for your application. The SPL is going to be able to fill in the bottom end quite well.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I think, (and maybe the experts can confirm if I'm right or wrong) the two openings into rooms may compromise some of the bass output. Now I would go larger 12 or 15 with the hope that it would compensate for the openings. But I can be wrong about this, hope we get some clarification on this.