What's new

10-12 away? (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
What size do you think? I've looked at all the sizes but in a big show room you can not get perspective. I don't want to end up buying something that would be too overwhelming.

53, 51, 47, 43

thanks.

I'm leaning towards 53 Panny because it seems to be ok and I will not be in a apartment for too much longer.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
at 12ft, you'll need a 100" 16x9 TV to get minimum THX requirements according to the site. Not really practical though.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely 53...I would recomend 55 or 65 but it is not on your list. I sit about 11' from a 65". I once had a 56" and am so glad I traded for the 65.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
I agree with the post above. I sit the same distance you described from my 65", and I love it. You are talking two sizes down from that, so go with the bigger (if you are limited to those choices by other considerations).

-Bruce

Mitch Davis

Auditioning
I'm torn between getting a Pioneer 533 (53") or 643 (64") myself. My big concern is that weaker quality sources like VHS would become all but unwatchable on a 64 incher. Even DVD, I would imagine, would be noticeably degraded on a screen that large. Am I correct in thinking this? When you've had to watch VHS, how well or poorly has it stood up at 64 inches?

MD

Timon Russo

Stunt Coordinator
Mitch - I sit 10 feet from my 65" and properly calibrated, with an anamorphic DVD and progressive DVD player, the picture is stunning. You will have no complaints. I even find regular analog cable quite acceptable, but I may be in the minority here. For VHS, yeah, its noticably degraded, but its not totally unwatchable. 10 feet may be too close for that, though. Sooo glad I got the 65 incher.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
As long as you can do progressive scan:

At 10', 6' wide is nice (80" 16:9 diagonal). At 12' that's a bit small so I've opted for a 7' wide screen (100" 16:9 diagonal).

IOW, you want the biggest box you can get. Or, keep your current set for viewing with the lights on and suplement with one of the affordable projectors for when cinematic scale is called for.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
VHS display shouldn't even be a consideration when purchasing an HDTV. Stick that VCR on a 27" off in a another room. It's not worth compromising enjoyment of progressive DVD and HDTV for a legacy format.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
This would really be only for DVDs. What about at 8 feet (small apartment). It seems that too big a screen would feel like i was sitting in the front row of a theater.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Actually, the front row of a theater has a much greater angle than 30 degrees which is the min THX. At 12ft, you could go up to 100" without it being too big.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks