What's new

$10,000 budget for new home theater (1 Viewer)

Maxmillion

Grip
Real Name
Max
the SA8004 is a good one and the marantz is a famous brand, there are so many people using their products, i will buy a good cd player. thank you so much, John.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A few things on your choices: 1. I'm not up to speed on the Epson projectors. Is this a real home theater model or more for presentations? I bought a Panasonic AE series a few years ago and it's still going strong. If I ever upgrade, I'm sticking with Panasonic. 2. Screens range from a few hundred dollars to thousands. 3D isn't an issue, it's brightness. Is your room completely light controlled? Mine is about 90% and I went with a DIY screen made from white fabric. It's not perfect but it works almost as good as the $2,000 one I looked at while auditioning projectors. If it had been a disappointment, I was only out $75 and a weekend of time (most of that was waiting for border paint to dry). There are some cheaper alternatives on Ebay. 10. I'm a huge SVS fan even though I don't own one. Odd but it is because of their transducer engineer. He worked at a different company before joining SVS and I have some of his older subs. In fact I used to have four 15" subs that he hand built. Unbelievable sound quality. On the other hand, I'm really intrigued by the Emotiva subs with DSP. I'm a huge proponent of adding an EQ to the sub to tame the in-room frequency response. I've done it on my DIY subs and it made a world of difference. Emotiva seems to have made this more accessible in price and difficulty for the average consumer. SVS's EQ costs more than the entire Emotiva sub. Basically, I'm torn between the two.....So why don't you just build one? (John said I would say that. :D)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I spent nearly $8000 on my living room system over the past 5 years, so I'm in the same ballpark as Max. I don't have the expertise as Robert :) and my goals were living room, not basement, but here are my purchases and then some thoughts on how I'd spend $10,000 if I had it.

(Approximate prices from memory)

* $2200 - TV - 50" Kuro (Pioneer's going-out-of-business sale)

* $3000 - Speakers & Stands - SVS MTS 5.1 system (got a special price at the time)

* $500 - Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR707 (Black Friday sale)

* $300 - Game Console - Xbox 360

* $100 - Blu-ray - Panasonic BD60 (Black Friday Sale)

* $200 - TV Wall Mount

* $300 - Cables - Monoprice and Blue Jeans

* $200 - Tivo HD - bought-with-TV discount at the time

* $50 - Router - 4-port internet router for networking everything

* $300 - Entertainment Hutch - WAF ;)

Add tax and shipping and I'm up over $7700

* And I'm thinking of doing a $1500 HTPC next year, which would put me at around $9000 total living room system (I'm surprised to realize that...) So, it turns out, that's what I'd do with a nearly $10k budget :)

If I were starting at zero, with $10k to spend in one planned purchase, it might look like this:

* $5500 - SVS MTS 7.1 system (PC-13 Ultra)

* $900 - Emotiva XPA-5 pre-amp

* $2500 - TV - 60" - 65" 3D TV (quckly skimming prices)

* $700 Onkyo TX-NR809 (half the price of the 1009 system. Could upgrade in a year or two if I went 9.2 speakers)

* $300 - Game Console - Xbox 360

* $200 - TV Wall Mount

* $300 - Cables - Monoprice and Blue Jeans

* $50 - Router - 4-port internet router for networking everything

* $300 - Entertainment Hutch - WAF ;)

$10,750 + tax & shipping

If I could break $10k, I'd think about an HTPC for about $1500

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another couple thoughts:

5.1 vs 7.1 vs 9.1 vs...

I've only heard one 7.1 system and it didn't sound good. When I was shopping for speakers, I seriously considered a 7.1 system, using Front Height speakers. But from my reading online, I concluded that the 7.1 configurations adds little to the total experience and it's better to put my money into five speakers rather than seven.

Acoustic treatments...

You're customing building a home theater space. Not a living room that must look good for company and the spouse and etc... This is a dedicated space. You can plan and put int acoustic treatments. During my speaker demos a couple years ago, I got a unique SVS demo at an employee's house. It was a small basement space, set as a theater with front projector. And it had cheap, DIY acoustic treatments. Panels on the celing. Bass traps in the corners.

Best sounding room I've ever heard. Not that I've heard a lot, but it was amazing. (It also had dual SVS box ultras, and MTS front channels powered by monoblock amps.) If I were building a custom space, I'd look into some acoustic treatments to tame reflections and unruly low-freq modes from the sub.

I suspect it would be the biggest bang for your buck. :)

Maxmillion

Grip
Real Name
Max
thank you, Dave. those are very good information and recommendation. so you are a big SVS fan, are you? I am looking into the svs mts

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With 5.1, 7.1 and so on, I think implementation is what it's all about. I constantly see people here insisting on throwing every speaker they can find into a room and they are absolutely convinced the more speakers they use the better it will sound. You might find a current thread with someone using a "11.4" system in a 15' square room. I'm sorry, there is no way you won't have severe phase problems with so many speakers so close to each other, and there is no way you will create a system that wouldn't be significantly better with 5 GOOD speakers of the same total price. Anyway, I went to 7.1 this year by adding rear bipole surrounds to my existing side dipole surrounds. The room is roughly 20' deep by 25' wide, and there is an improvement, but it's not night and day. Just a nice little step up that was worth it. I've been thinking of trying 7.1 with front height speakers in my living room system that has a vaulted ceiling. I have the extra pair of speakers, just haven't done it yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by JohnRice

Anyway, I went to 7.1 this year by adding rear bipole surrounds to my existing side dipole surrounds. The room is roughly 20' deep by 25' wide, and there is an improvement, but it's not night and day. Just a nice little step up that was worth it. I've been thinking of trying 7.1 with front height speakers in my living room system that has a vaulted ceiling. I have the extra pair of speakers, just haven't done it yet.

Yep. My room doesn't allow for Rear or Side Surrounds (Front Heights were possible, if ungainly). But if I found myself with a new living room that allowed a 7.1 system, the marginal cost to add two more speakers, now a couple years after the initial purchase, wouldn't feel so expensive. And the choice would be easier: just buy two more of the satellites I've already got.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Maxmillion

thank you, Dave. those are very good information and recommendation. so you are a big SVS fan, are you? I am looking into the svs mts

Love them. I recommend considering them if you're shopping for a system in that price range. I was fortunate to be able to get a live demo of the very system I was shopping for; most don't have the luxury. Otherwise, I would have bought a Paradigm system, which I really enjoyed. Robert can explain the benefits of DIY; I'm not so motivated nor skilled :)

Here's my saga :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/297610/how-to-buy-new-speakers

And the unboxing (forgive me John and Robert ;)

Alas, they're re-boxed, since I'm moving.

Maxmillion

Grip
Real Name
Max
here is my new design for my basement so for the home theater, it is 16x22, and I try to install 7.1 in this room, is it good enough? do i need 9.2? thanks

Maxmillion

Grip
Real Name
Max
here is my new design for my basement so my home theater is 16x22, and i want to install 7.1 in the room, is it good enough? or i need 9.2? thanks

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In my imaginary budget, I was maxed out at 7.1. Were it my money in that large a room, and I could add another $1000, I'd talk with SVS sales about whether to get a second sub versus a two more surrounds. I'd also start a thread in the Blu-ray forum about how people like 7.x and 9.x movies. My guess, I'd go with a second sub.

Or I'd spend that $1,000 on calibration services. Because a well adjusted 5.1 system is going to beat the stuffing out of an unconsidered 9.1 setup.

Finally: your uploaded image is teeny for me to see the details.:)

Maxmillion

Grip
Real Name
Max
actually I have adjusted the design for the home theater, here is the link. http://postimage.org/image/lq4sk9hct/

paulTgee

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Dig, man, 10 grand is such a great budget. A few ideas since I've had my HT in place for three years now. It took me about four months to buy my equipment since I had a limited budget with the wife and some hidden cash to spend. I saved about 2 grand just being patient and checking website several times a day. Bought the second I saw what I wanted on sale. Paid retail for my speakers, though 1. Professional wire outlay = well worth the $700 I spent to have all of my wires hidden behind the walls etc etc. I don't have the damn time or expertise to do this. It made a big difference in overall appearance. Three years later, though, I might have moved a couple of things in different places, for example my sub woofer cable (to amp) limits me to about 10 square feet. Take the time to know exactly where you want the equipment. 2. I never am able to turn mine up unless I am home alone. I bought way more than I need so I would have the goods in case I won the lottery and moved to a bigger space. My room is 25x32 in the finished basement, but I have knocked pictures off of the wall on the third floor of the house (Bruce Springsteen Live in NYC - during the band intro - Big Man key change). If you can't listen to it as loud as you want, there really is no reason to go WAY overboard on power and speakers/subs. You won't sell your house furnished so you will not recoup your money. 3. I bought a two year old Marantz AV SR 8002 on Amazon for $799 delivered (retail $2000). Just waited patiently, watch the boards and bought the minute it went on sale. Its 7.1 dual zone, all I need. I personally don't think pre/pro is worth it. Nice to have, but not an absolute. I've been jamming now for 35 years, never thought th epre/pro systems were that much better for me. The newer Marantz amps come with an IPOD dock. It is a must these days. 4. B and W speakers. My brother has some so I know what I wanted. I use some Bose 301s for the 7 channel, will replace those in the next couple of years. The B and Ws are big in front and the center channel is big too, so make sure you are OK with it. I would never use in wall speakers. 5. I have an SVS sub PB 12 Plus. Don't know why anyone would need two of them. Totally satisfied with the product. Watched the "B Stock" part of the website for three months before mine went on sale. Bought it the minute it hit = $699- retailed much higher. I could care less about the sctrach on the side of it. I don't think I would spend 5 grand on one of their systems unless they would give me 100% return including shipping. 6. I think your're right on with the projection TV. IF your are into 3-D tv, make sure your amp is too. 7. Same for power conditonier. 8. I found two pioneer 300 discs players via craig's list and hookled them up up slave/master to have remote access to 600 discs. 9. Professional calibration can be worth it if the person is a real pro. I'd put my money into speakers, sub and center. I've yet to have any reason to change anything.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by paulTgee

Dig, man, 10 grand is such a great budget.
5. I have an SVS sub PB 12 Plus. Don't know why anyone would need two of them.

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking two up. ;)

I don't know how much a front projector and a screen costs, as you'd want for a basement. That might be much more than a 60" TV and take money from speaker excesses. :)

I was lucky in that my rear speakers were easily dropped through the floor (into basement) and back up in the rear. I didn't have to worry about in-wall wiring.

Maxmillion

Grip
Real Name
Max
thank you Dave and Paul, great info and recommendations. I have a pair of ProAc studio 140 front speaker already, and I am going to buy the the ProAc center speaker this week. the dealer of ProAc suggests me to buy the studio 100 as the rear speakers. but it is $2100, it is expensive for the rear speaker in my system, I think. so do I really need very good rear or side speaker to match my front speaker? can you guys give any good brands of rear speaker side speaker I can choose? if I have any money left, I am going to buy two svs pb12-plus. thanks Max

Maxmillion

Grip
Real Name
Max
can anybody tell me which one is better between the receiver Onkyo nx-tr1009 and Marantz sr7005? most time I will use this receiver for watching movies, not for listening the music. thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks