$10,000 budget for a Home Theater

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by CactusJ43, Aug 27, 2006.

1. CactusJ43

CactusJ43 Auditioning

I'm new to home theater, but I've always wanted an HT setup and I've put away $10,000 for it.

I have two rooms that I could put the setup in; one is 20x20x10, and the other is 20x30x10, and both rooms have no outside light. I wanted to put in a front projection system that would be good for DVD, gaming, and plain old TV watching.

Can someone recommend me a good setup for my budget?

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Here you go.. This will meet your budget if you remove the Berkline chairs. [​IMG]

http://www.audioholics.com/showcase/...-HTSystem.html

Also, you may want to consider either a Denon DVD-2930CI DVD Player (newer than the one listed) or a Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD Player.

Only item missing is a Universal Remote Control - I would recommend the Logitech Harmony 880, or a Nevo SL.

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Dave, do you know if you want a DLP or LCD projector? You need to determine this first. I disagree with Alon's projector recommendation though. The Benq 7700 has had a terrible problem with early bulb failures. Plus the 7700 is yesterday's news. I recommend you do some reading at 2 great sites: Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com. It would be easier for us to recommend a projector if you gave us an amount for projector only, and whether DLP or LCD.

4. CactusJ43

CactusJ43 Auditioning

Well what I really want is a CRT projector, but I think those are a little too expensive, so I guess a DLP.

How do DLP projectors handle video games? Better than DLP rear projection TVs?

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I don't think there would be a problem playing video games with a DLP projector, but I'm not sure. I have a DLP projector, but I don't use it for video games. I'm sure someone else here would know.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    There is no problem with video games on a DLP projector.

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I would recommend using the 20x30 room for acoustical considerations. A square room is usually pretty bad news for acoustics. A 1:1.5 ratio is much, much better, although still not ideal.