1) Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by KamW, Dec 1, 2003.

1. KamW

KamW Auditioning

I am a total HT Newbie here in Canada. I wish to return asap to good sounds for jazz/classical music. I am not so big on movies and video yet but I also hope to gradually enter that area too. I already possess 2 older Energy Connoisseur EC-6 Speakers Towers. I want to start from there and build things up as per budget. I have about $750 to burn for X-mas. I got an offer yesterday for a Yamaha Rx-v1300 receiver end-of-line at US$400 + a Panasonic DVDF-65 $150.

I would appreciate any help deciding if am doing the right thing a) withn the this receiver and speaker combination as the start-up core of a future mid-level, strictly practical i.e. "non-fanatic" system. Since am new to the lingo please give me the straight poop and botom line views based on your own experience and tech know-how. Thanks in advance.
    KamW

2. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    Well, the 1300 has always been a very popular seller for Yamaha. It's got a great combination of features and power and at a very attractive price. The only thing I can think to say about it is that it's last year's model. The newer RX-V1400 has now replaced the RX-V1300, featuring a bit more power, an extra 7th channel, automatic sound levels and EQ adjustment and I believe is now, for the first time in Yamaha history, THX certified. However, if you're not a big movie fanatic, then you really don't need to worry about any of that stuff, the 1300 is still a very capable receiver by today's standards. The only thing is, since the 1300 is out the door you may wanna see if you can come up with even better deals somewhere.

As for the DVD player, the Panasonics are fairly well regarded. If I were to buy a DVD player in that price range it would probably be a Panasonic. The only thing I don't care for in that particular model is it's weird 2-channel only DVD-Audio playback ability (not to be confused with DVD-Video audio playback, which one can use optical connections for). If DVD-Audio format is important to you then you may want to consider the DVD-F85 instead.

- Mike

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I thought the Yamaha RX-V1300 was a pretty nice piece, it offers a good amount of features and it doesn't kill your bank. The one thing I don't like about Yamaha recievers is that for music I think they are just way to bright and in a way can make some speakers sound "screechy".

Also take a look at companies like Denon, Onkyo, and Harman/Kardon. Those 3 companies also offer other competitive products, but if you are set on the Yamaha then it's a good piece for the money.

4. Kam_A

Kam_A Extra

Yamaha RXV1300 is an excellent piece. I have a new unit in box sitting in my home with a 4year extended warranty from A&B sound(transferable). If You are interested send me a PM. You may have warranty issues if you buy online from states. I am located in Canada.

5. KamW

KamW Auditioning

Many Thanks everybody who gave advice ever damn so promptly. Sorry I could not purchase the 1300 on offer. I have already decided on my basic entry receiver - YAMAHA RX-V 1400. with a Panasonic CD-85 player. Got them both for $US900 with long speaker cables thrown in. Perhaps a steal perhaps a rip-off, In blowing snow too much research legwork was too painful - but this thread and you guys helped. Muchas Gracias

6. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Definitely a good deal. Enjoy it!

7. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael