1-Word Hitchcock Titles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Von Pein, Feb 22, 2002.

1. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Ever notice how Alfred Hitchcock seemed to be in love with short, one-word titles for many of his films?
    I guess he liked to keep the names "short & sweet", huh??
    Has anybody ever read anything about this "1-Word" phenomenon? Is it just a co-incidence? (I doubt it.)
    Which is your favorite? (Most are on DVD, and are excellent quality).........
    >> Psycho
    >> 'Vertigo'
    >> Spellbound
    >> Rebecca
    >> Notorious
    >> Suspicion
    >> Rope
    >> Frenzy
    >> Topaz
    >> Marnie
    >> Saboteur
    >> Murder
    >> Blackmail
    >> Sabotage
    >> Lifeboat
    Surely, no other filmmaker can boast of so many short titles!
    If you want to discount the word "The", then there's 2 more to add to the list.....
    >> Birds, (The)
    >> Lodger, (The)
    [​IMG]

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Interesting list. It's headed for the Polls section, but still an interesting list.
    I doubt any filmmaker has helmed as many one-word titles, but you forgot Strangersonatrain and Rearwindow. [​IMG]

3. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

I love Hitchcock's funny, droll comments to the Natl. Press Club (while discussing his brand-new 1963 thriller).....
    "The title is quite short. Just two words. .... There were [to be] three. But we cut the first word, "For". And called it simply "The Birds". [​IMG]

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Of the films listed, Vertigo is probably the best, but Frenzy is my favorite.