1 speaker louder/sounds different than other!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Billy Gun, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Billy Gun

Billy Gun Stunt Coordinator

I have two Klipsch KLF-30 for my left and right mains in my Home Theater sysytem.

When I play the Video essentials DVD at 75db of pink noise the left speaker is about 1-2 db softer than all the others. (Barely noticible.)

My friend (Who supposedly has better ears than me.) said that he can hear a difference in the sound coming from that speaker also. After carefull listening of some music CD's, I have to agree with him. It sounds like the left speaker is "Straining" on some midrange notes when compared to the right one.

We switched the wires and the "Stained" sound did not follow. (So it's probably not my amp.)

What is my next step? There is something wrong, but I'm not sure what it is, or how to determine what it is that's wrong?

Help.....

2. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

It could be your room acoustics; ie, a couch on the left side or a reflective mirror, etc.

Try this, switch the speakers and see if the strained sound is still on the left. If it turns out to be room interference, it's time to turn to the advanced/DIY/tweaks forums.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Did you adjust the individual speaker levels so they all output 75dB through VE, measured at the listening position? This is what is known as calibrating the system and is used to rectify just the situation you speak of. Check the manual for your receiver, you should find instructions there.

If you have calibrated (my apologies if you have) and the pink noise from that speaker measures 75dB, IMHO - instruments don't lie. Your mileage may vary.

4. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Another possiblity is that the tweeter has been changed on one of those speakers or the tweeter is damaged in some way. In fact, I replaced a damaged tweeter once that caused this effect- perhaps because of the newness of the tweeter, perhaps because of quality control issues, who knows- but calibrating as Jeff mentioned took care off the issue. The key is to measure all your tones against one of the mains- let's say the left to 70 or 75dB, and adjust the other speakers to this level. You'll use an spl meter for this, of course.

5. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Easy things to check:

If you have a balance control, is it set at "0"?

When you "switched the wires", do you mean the speaker wires or the component cables (or both)? Just in case... are the lengths of your speaker wires about the same? Are the connectors well-soldered or crimped and the bare wire not oxidized?

Is there anything about that part of your room that degrades acoustics (is the "quiet" speaker shoved up close to large furniture, either to the rear or sides, are there different ceiling slopes, etc.)?

Are your speakers bi-wireable, and if so have you run wires to only the tweets or only the woofs to see if you can isolate the problem?

7. Billy Gun

Billy Gun Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the pointers.
    Let me try/consider some of these possibilities.

8. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

It's probably just your room. Unless everything(furniture/walls/windows/whatever) is exactly the same on each side of the room(nearly impossible in a house) you get a different db level from center. It's no big deal, just balance it.

e