What's new

1 set direct spkrs and 1 set dipole wish ones go where for 7.1 ssurround? (1 Viewer)

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
I have two different kinds of speakers from Swan

2 2.1's (2.1's web site)

and

2 r3's (R3's web site)

So in my 7.1 surround set up I was wondering where my di-pole's sound go and where my direct speakers should go?

which one should I make the side surrounds and which one should I make the back centers? Thanks!

David Judah

Screenwriter
I've seen it done both ways, so you might want to experiment. Will the rear surrounds be up against a wall close to the listening position or is there alot of freedom of placement in your room? Are you going to listen to alot of multi-channel music or mostly movies?

If you don't have alot of room for the rear surrounds behind you and you will listen to some 5.1 music(there are some 6.1 DTS ES music titles, but they are rare), I would put the direct radiators on the sides.

Of course, there is no single right way to do it--I'd try it both ways, but Glenn's suggestion would be the most common. I've found on more than one occasion that going with "unconventionable" placements can work great too.

Good luck,

DJ

SethH

Senior HTF Member
If movies are your only concern I would put the dipoles on the sides. If you interested in multi-channel music also you're in more of a predicament. For music you should have the directs on the sides. I think I've heard brief mention of a receiver that would allow the placement of the dipoles on the sides, but could assign multi-channel music to send to channels 6 and 7 instead of 4 and 5, thus giving you exactly what you want for both. I may have dreamed up this receiver, but i really think I heard someone mention one that could do it.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
For movies: Dipoles sides, monpoles rears
For music: Monopoles all around

I have tried both and used dipoles for rears in 5.1, but they really found a home at the sides of my 7.1.

Dennis

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Ok well I am glad to know that I have them in the right place. I put the Dipoles on the sides and the direct radiating in the back center channel. (because I am a movie much more than music person.)

But, after a lot of reading I have found that I agree with the music people (UTA? not sure what this is called again) placement of speakers for the HT. 30 Degrees from the center channel for the front right and left and then 110 for the surrounds. But what about Dipole sides and direct 7.1 speakers in the back center channel. I love the sweet spot that this produces for my front sound stage and it is really a big difference, but if I put my side surround dipoles @ 110 Degrees from the center channel then I wonder if I will even get the joy of the side surround, and then where am I supposed to put the 7.1 pair for back surround?

I realize the standard I am talking about is for multichannel music, but I am finding that it works wonders for HT as well.

BTW: I am talking about the set-up positions and such that WideScreen Review uses in their HT's that they put on the inside of each of their mags, in case you are wondering what I am talking about.

where do Dipole side surrounds and direct back center surrounds go with this layout? Thanks!

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I guess my sides to be @ about the 100 degree setting from my center. They are about 1 foot behind my seating. The monopole rears are in the corners of my room, firing toward the sweet spot, angled in.

I love it for movies, tolerate it for music, but have yet to get into dvd-a or SACD sher the direct speakers would shine. The music I listen to is in concert form and the surrounds are still used mostly for surround effects.
For stereo music I prefer plain old 2 channel through my HK 7200 and Polk towers.

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Do you find the dipoles are good @ 100 Degrees?

All the instructions I find say to put it right at 90 Degrees and then the two pair that make up the 7.1 in stereo behind me.

I wonder if I should put the back rear (7.1) at the same angle as the front left and right just in opposite directions from one another? (This sounds like that is what you are doing with your back surrounds Dennis.)

Any thoughts?

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
My direct rears are angled in, my front towers are on either edge of my 92 inch wide screen pointing straight out so they are inline with my center. I don't have any real reason why the sides ended up slightly behind my seats, but it just fit my room a little better and since they are dipole, I can't locate them at all when in use.

I am sitting 12 feet back from my screen 7 feet from my sides and 10 feet infront of my rears.

Dennis

David Judah

Screenwriter
The ITU guidelines are good place to start, but sometimes, because we have furniture, walls, openings to other rooms etc...we have to stray a bit, especialy for surround placement. If you were going strictly by their guidlines, you'd be using monopoles all the way around anyways.

So go have some fun and try some different arrangements as the room dictates--you'll know when you got it. Again, there isn't really any "right" way that works in all rooms. Each room is unique and presents its own challenges for rear placement.

DJ

Grady Hollums

Second Unit
Real Name
D.G. Hollums
Thanks Dennis and David (and others, heh).

Dennis I really would play around and take a look at the ITU guidelines ( ) from your fronts and move them forward a little and point toward the sweet stop if you would like. I had mine just like yours and then I followed the IUT config and man I really love the results, now if I could just decided where the surrounds should go, of course my living room is just plain crappy for this, heh.

David

I fully understand the IUT guidelines for monopoles all the way around, but since I already have dipolar I will just deal with that, I do think that I will attempt to be as close as possible to placing my back surrounds to the exact opposite of the front right and left 30 Degrees from the center listening position, and see if that makes any difference. It seems to me that since I really only have 6.1 and am just using 2 speakers for the "6" in the 6.1 and only one amp for the both of them, so I am not sure what difference it will really make, but it will probably be a better defined mono sound coming from the back, ha ha.

thanks again for everyone's help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks