1 Pair Speakers, 2 Receivers: Is This Possible?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Simpson, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Hey guys, hope you can help me out regarding some connection matters for a friend. This is what he proposes: he's currently enjoying two-channel music with an older Yamaha receiver (two-channel only; no DPL or 5.1) and plans to continue doing so, but he also plans to purchase a Kenwood VR-507 for DD and DTS decoding (HT use only). Speakers are B&W 600i bookshelf model, balance of 5.1 set-up to follow. Is it possible to connect both receivers at once to these speakers for simplicity of operation? I.E.) Yammie receiver to bottom set of speaker inputs (or top), Kenwood receiver to top set of inputs (or bottom), jumper bars remaining in place, powering on one receiver while the other is definately off. CD/DVD (same unit) connection will be analogue out to Yamaha, optical out to Kenwood. Is this feasible? Thanks a lot for any help. Cheers.

DS.

2. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

im not sure.. never thought about doing something like that. the best way to check is to use a ohm meter on the amplifer and check the resistance between the "+" and "-" teminals of one channel when it is off... if it read an open circut...then i dont see a problem but if you have some measurable resistence there than you might have a problem... make sure you test both amps and both of their outputs when they are off.

good luck,

l8rz,

3. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Dave, I would not reccoumend doing this it can damage the recevers (trust me Ive done it myself before).

If you wonted to hook them both up to the same speakers I would look for some type of selector switch that would cut the reciever off that is not in use at the time so that you are not sending power into the other recivers amp section.

4. Miles_W

Miles_W Second Unit

I agree with Joe, I don't recommend doing this... for the reasons stated

5. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

I'm sure they make some kind of switch for this purpose don't they?

6. PaulKH

PaulKH Second Unit

Dave Simpson - I had a similar situation and solved it with a fabulous 'box' made by Jamo. It allows two sets of amp/receiver connections in, and supports up to 4 sets of speakers out, and it will make sure the amp/receiver sees one 8ohm impedence regardless of how many speaker sets.

I realize this is overkill for what you need, and it was for me too, but it's a high quality box (all gold plated banana capable connectors).

Recommended.

7. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

Great suggestion, Paul! Any idea on the cost and availability of such a box? Cheers!

DS.