What's new

1 or 2 subs (1 Viewer)

Javal

Grip
Real Name
Jason
I have a 32' by 15' room... about 18' by 15' is being used as a home theater for the home theater.

Would you suggest two subs or one?

Is two 10's "better" and one 12?

or Should I look for two 12's?

I watch a lot of action movies etc so would like them to be "full" sounding vs "hollow"

Thanks

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You're oversimplifying a bit. All subs with a given size driver are not even remotely the same. Your budget will determine a lot. But one good or great sub is always better than two cheap ones.

Javal

Grip
Real Name
Jason
For a room that size... would you suggest two good subs... can a "good sub" fill the room adequately?

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Firstly, how much do you want to spend on a sub? As John said, one good sub will outperform two cheap ones.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
First off, one great sub is always better than 2 adequate subs. As a matter of fact, one great sub is better than two subs that together equal the output of the single sub. Why? Well, there are two things to be noted about sub-bass:

1) It is non-directional. So unlike normal speaker frequencies, you usually can't discern the direction it's coming from.

2) It has long wavelengths. So it is prone to cancellations (nulls) and amplifications (peaks), depending on room shape and the number of sources. Two or more sources of the same sub-bass waves that are not located together can greatly exasperate these nulls and peaks, effectively eliminating the areas of your room that get the sub-bass "just right."

So, what's the answer to those peaks and nulls? Well, since sub-bass is non-directional, you can co-locate two subs as well as possible (given room shape and area available) or . . . get a single single great sub and place it correctly in the room.

Ps - Budget means more than any other parameter. Price, performance, size - Pick 2 and you have to eat the third.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Expectations should also factor into this. You mentioned you want your action movies to sound "full" and not "hollow". Those don't give us concrete numbers to go by. Do you want to reach reference levels at 30hz, 20hz, 10hz? The lower and louder you go, the more it will cost.

I have a 16' x 25' dedicated room that can be closed off from the rest of the house. I wanted to reach below 20hz. I use a Behringer EP-2500 pro amp (1,200w x 2) to power a pair of 15" subs. I also use a Behringer equalizer to flatten my sub's response (see Jeff's peaks and nulls post above) down to 17hz. At reference levels my entire house shakes. I'm not satisfied so I'm in the process of upgrading to four custom built 18" drivers in an infinite baffle configuration powered by the Behringer equipment. I'm expecting a flat response down to the single digits when watching action movies.

-Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, Jason, the simple answer is this. 2 SVS PB13 Ultras either co-located or well placed apart from each other should do the trick. At only about $3,400 (for both) delivered they are also a bargain. You can always go with one of Robert's DIY solutions for half or less the cost, assuming you have fairly advanced woodworking abilities and facilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks