1 more LD Player thread-Vote your choice

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John S, Dec 15, 2005.

1. John S

John S Producer

My head is spinning... geeesh, I don't think I have anguished over any purchase like this one since buying my HD display. [​IMG]

svideo performance is most paramount in my choice here, even against conventional wizdom that says to use the Composite output.

Ok, I am going to edit.
    This is what it really comes down to.

Nicolas with the R7G thinks it is a wash between the 99 and the R7G. Better performance on the R7G, better build quality on the 99.

I have no expeirence with either one. So what do you all think? Not much mention of the R7G around here or anywhere it seems.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I bet you could get the $430 CLD-99 worked up, if you needed it, for $250 or so; that would make it a better deal than a $700 unit missing parts, I would think. Maybe the wood side panels aren't that significant, but I don't like to have bits left off my equipment!
    Of course, there is also the CLD-D99, same model but for overseas markets, with metal side panels instead.

3. John S

John S Producer

At this point, if I don't score the $430 CLD-99, I think I am going for the coolness of the CLD-R7G. [​IMG]

Not to many of those out there in use it seems, especially in the U.S.

On a CLD-99 full refurb including spindle motor is about $160, only like $95 if the spindle motor is in good shape.

4. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

You need to make this choice John. You've been given all the information on your threads both here and the on the AVS forum. It's easy to see the Japanese units are better, so with a collection the size of yours, that's what I would do. With the unit from Nicolas, you should count on another 150 or more to ship it as well.

The 99 for $430 is a good price, but I would most definitely send it off to Duncan to be serviced. It should last for years to come after a good servicing from Duncan.

It really depends on how serious you are about ld. The 99 is a great player, no doubt. It depends though on if you want the best or not. I bought first a cld52 thinking it would be good enough, then I got a cld79 and thought it would be good enough. Then I finally got an X9. I'd have saved myself quite a bit by just going for the X9 to begin with. If you purchase a 99 would you be happy with it or would you always wonder how much better the R7G is? You'll have to decide yourself.

5. John S

John S Producer

greg_t, How serious am I about LD? Seriosu enough, that I have decided to not replace any more titles on DVD and I have several hundred titles I love on LD.

You have made some excellent points I had not thought about. Of course the 99 would be a really great backup player to the R7G. [​IMG]

Sounds like you guys overall still would favor the R7G over the CLD-99? I guess that is my last question on it really...

Nicolas (The guy with the R7G) calls it a wash, better performance on the R7G, better build quality on the CLD-99.

So if I count those two as equal, I may as well save the money right?

A more direct question is.....

Do most here favor an R7G over the 99 overall? Or do you consider them equal?

Now mind you, I have zero experience with either one. I think that is the tough part, I can't really judge this one for myself.

6. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Most people on this board have never seen either one as well. I've never seen a 99, but I have used my CLD79 into my pioneer elites 3D comb filter (same filter as the X9) and the combo was very good. I was very impressed with the quality.

I haven't seen the R7G. In your thread on the AVS forum, Kurtis states it is essentially a CLD604 with a newer 3D comb filter. The 604 wasn't a great player so that would concern me some. If Nicolas states they are essentially equal, I would go with the 99 if you can get it for under 500 and send it off for refurb (new laser, belts, etc). That way you have a player that is a great player in peak condition.

If the 99 goes for more money, try the R7G. Remember it is $825 for the player, plus the $150 shipping, and you don't know how much use the laser has had, spindle motor condition, etc.

If you can get the 99 for under 500, I would spend another couple hundred getting it serviced. then you would have a player that would last for some time. If it 99 goes for over 500, then I would consider the R7G. The problem is that it will cost close to $1000 and that doesn't include any type of servicing, so who knows that condition it's may be in in terms of internal adjustments, hours of laser, condition of belts, etc.

I also sent you a PM.

7. John S

John S Producer

Thanks greg_t you have been very generous with your time and information.

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I only have about 130 LDs and some I've bought the DVDs so I don't have the problem of enough software to have your problem. I have 2 players, one in the main system and one is the basement system and I bought some extra parts (like a spindle motor and a carriage assembly) to have to keep them running. I started out with a 406 and then got some LDs and got a CLD-59 and then felt the need to upgrade. Kurtis does not live that far from where I am. I had him bring a bunch of players over to my place a couple of yrs. back, including his HLD-X9 and tweaked CLD-97. I had them hooked to my Sharp 9000 projector on a 100 inch screen. Had I had more discs, I might have opted for the CLD-97, which would not be big on your list due to the comb filter issue. I ended up with a CLD-79 in the main system and a 704 in the basement system as they are similar and together with the extra parts should not be a problem to keep running for a bit. Have you asked Kurtis his opinion? He is always helpful.

9. John S

John S Producer

Just a follow up....

I did score the CLD-99 for $430, I requsted it be sent directly to Duncan for a full refurbish before I put it in service. Just seemed like to good of a deal all around.

If that had not panned out, I am pretty sure I would of went for the R7G.

Thanks for all the information.

10. John S

John S Producer

To the conclusion of this thread....

I did purchase the $430 CLD-99 on ebay, I had it sent directly to Duncan of Bayview Electronics for a full refurbish before comming to me. I just got it hooked up and all I can say is wow. Very nice piece deserving of consideration of the highest end players. The SVIDEO out is truly superb. My previous Denon LD player always had a softness to it, the Pioneer is deadly sharp, I had to recalibrate my TV a little color wise, I actually think the 99 is a ton more accurate there as well, I always had to push red to get that vibrant color feel out of the old Denon LD player.

I have only tried the digital optcical audio out at this point, will try analog and AC-3 over the xmas day holiday weekend.

11. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Glad to hear you're happy with it. I think having new lasers, etc, bring the full life back into it. I also agree that the 99 should have far better color reproduction than the denon did.

I don't recall the analog outputs being anything special. I think it is a 1 bit DAC with legato link capabilities. If you don't have star wars episode I AC3 laserdisc try to pick one up. It is awesome in both video and audio.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I used to have a 99, it's quite a piece if you need S-Video output. When I got my X1 I found that the output of my CLD-D704 using composite was just as good, so I sold off the 99. I still kind of miss the behemoth.

13. John S

John S Producer

Well additonal follow up...

My player is going back to Duncan. It played several titles.. Cleopatra was my first audition on it, since I had friday off. Really great, exposed the film grain well, which I always think is cool for older classics like this one. The AC3 title I tried was KingPin, real nice.

But alas on Saturday it refused to eject Charlie Brown Xmas and now will only exhibit an A3 error upon attempting any operation with it.

I'll give it another chance, the svideo was very impressive and the tweaker in my just loved being able to play with the motion adaptive comb and noise reduction parameters.

Probably just some stupid part, old player, Duncan said it had many many miles on it. [​IMG]

I figure I give it one more chance, if it breaks again, I will have it fixed again, but sell it and go for the R7G from japan. I need a reliable player more than a good one, what a PITA getting it in my rack and then having to pull it back out to put back the Denon, not a feat I will tolerate repeating often I can assue you. [​IMG]

I have more liberal budget as my accountant (Significant other) got 10ct of diamonds for xmas. So she is now like whatever you want, whatever you have to do, this is 180 degrees from before xmas as far as the budget for the change goes, funny how a xmas present can change things. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

The 99 is a reliable player, it's just like you said it has had a lot of use and probably a part that is not part of the refurb went out. Even though, for the price you paid you got a great deal. The japanese players will not always be trouble free either, as remember mine showed up from Nicolas dead. I think Duncan will get it fixed up real quick and it will be a great player for you.

15. John S

John S Producer

Thanks for the re-assurance. I sure liked it.
    The improvement was dramatic.

I hope my disc that is tuck in the player can be salvaged. The disc was pristine.