1 mo old hsu vtf-3 died this morning??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Abbey, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

Oh my gosh!! What happened?... I noticed a crackling sound this morning coming from the sub. It is noticeable even at very low volumes. I also noticed a humming sound coming from the sub. I also noted it makes a loud popping sound when I turn it off. It has worked flawlessly up to this point. Does anyone know what this could be?? I'm going to email HSU, but was wondering if someone could give me some assurance that this can be easily remedied?

Thanks,

Miles

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Miles, I have had pretty much the same problem with one of my subs. I had to pull the amp and send it back to Velodyne. It is in process now so I can't say just yet what was causing the same symptoms as you describe. They seem very confident it is with the amp? Time will tell. Sure does not sit well when a piece of our system is not up to parr does it?[​IMG]

4. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

I was thinking it is the amp too. It was fine last night while watching at normal volumes, and then poof...gone this a.m. I hope HSU resolves this in a timely fashion. I will update once it is resolved. Thanks for your responses.

Miles

5. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Second Unit

I have a VTF-3 that is only a month old...and my amp has always had a hum to it. I have also noted some crackling from the woofer at moderate to load volumes. I was disappointed that it showed fatigue so easily. Maybe I am experiencing something similiar to yours. Please let me know what they tell you. I think I need to switch out the amp, as well!
    Mike Sloan
    [email protected]
    (817)430-4035

6. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

Here is the response I got back from HSU. I will be mailing it back.

HSU's response....

If you can, take it back to Jeff for it to be fixed. If you bought it via mail order, then take the amplifier module out and ship that back. In order to do this, you need to remove the woofer first. Pop off the grille (the cloth part only), and unscrew the 8 screws holding the woofer and the grille ring down. Remove the woofer and unclip the wires from it. You need to remove the staples that hold the wire to the brace. Then you can unscrew the 12 large screws along the perimeter of the amp and take out the amp. Double box the amp with at least 2" of large bubble wrap around the amp and peanuts between the inner and outer box. Ship it back to:
    Hsu Research, Inc.
    3160 E. La Palma Ave, #D
    Anaheim, CA 92806

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Wow! You have to do all that to get the amp out. I guess I was lucky. I just had to take out eight screws on the back and unhook one wire with two clips. I made the mistake of being a cheappy when I sent it back so it is taking like two weeks to get there.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]