1 in. MDF in NJ

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredV, Feb 21, 2003.

1. FredV

FredV Agent

Anyone know where I can get MDF in NJ thicker than 3/4 in?

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Where in NJ? I didn't find anything over 3/4" in stock anywhere (if I recall, been a while) but my local place could order me up to 1&1/8. Heavy stuff, Fred.

3. FredV

FredV Agent

Anywhere in NJ. I figure you can't get this any ole place.
    BTW, if you just double up on 3/4 in. MDF, what's the best way?; to glue them?; glue and screw?

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

i just glued and clamed almost every where i could

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Fred,
    You can certainly laminate sheets to any thickness you like, most people just use wood glue and weight/clamp evenly.
    I think a better way is to build a box from, say, 3/4" material then, when it's done/dry, "build" another box around it. Just laminate another sheet onto each side overhanging by about 1/8" and use a flush-cut router bit to get the edges perfect. This is easier and safer since you're not trying to horse large, heavy pieces into a saw. I think Brian Bunge told me about this method, but I can't find the procedure detailed anywhere.

6. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

As a variation of what Jack just said, you can make thicker panels and avoid the difficulty of cutting the thick panels. Cut the 3/4 to exact size, then cut the add on panel slightly larger. Combine them with yellow wood glue and use weights or clamps making sure that the larger rough cut panel overhangs a little on all 4 sides. Then use flush trim bit to cut the overhang and you've got a thick panel of exact size.

7. FredV

FredV Agent

Do you think glue used for hardwood floors would be useful?
    I'm thinking perhaps by using a spreader, one can even get a benefit of"deadening" the wood.

8. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

so long as you can get a thin uniform layer should be fine. But plane yellow wood glue works great for these laminations.

9. Michael Lynch

Michael Lynch Auditioning

I can't remember which one but I believe one Home Depot had 1" MDF. I was shocked to see 1" but maybe it was the Linden store and this was 3-4 months ago (sorry for the non help here). I've been to Linden(Rt 1), Sayreville(Rt 9), Kenilworth(Rt 22), and others. There is also a woodshop in Plainfield that sells MDF (New Jersey Hardwoods). I'm not sure if they have 1" but a phone call would find out. I bought full sheets of 3/4 and 1/2 there and they could probably make some of the cuts for you.
    Hope this helps.

10. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

when i bult my box i used lap joints the inner pannel was 3/4smaller than the oter. so i bult the inner box then added the seccond layer to it.

11. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Have you tried going to one of the non-big box stores and asking them about the chance of ordering it for you? I can do that here in South Podunk Vermont, its really worth the effort so as not to deal with gluing . I built my subwoofer out of 1" Mdf and it is masssive...used almost the entire sheet including 4 internal braces and double front and back.